• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new daily rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    DBA contracts are going going gone. Cloud taken over. All managed services. Bobs are killing off the BI market. BI was a growing skill over last 8 years, but now it's flooded. Only the strong or cheap shall remain.
    Any customer using eBusiness Suite will need a DBA (or more usually multiple DBAs) to look after it. Unless you use what used to be Oracle OnDemand.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by colinrobinson View Post
      Whats with sql DBA/BI rates being advertised at £325 daily.

Agencies trying to increase margins or clients trying it on ?

I'm in midlands where rates are lower but ...
      hoe much SHOULD the rate be?? the current rate is the current rate init??

Comment

Originally posted by colinrobinson View Post
        if its genuine client pressure to reduce rates theres not a lot we can do.

if its agencies increasing their margins its time for us contractors to get motivated and re-establish the freelancer direct client market that was prevalent in my day.

We (unwittingly) allowed agencies to get a foothold in our market in return for an easy life (no direct advertising for work, and guaranteed Payment on schedule).

we can sort the first with a decent freelancer web site. and we can sort the second with Modern On-Line payment methods which would limit the credit risk.

It would even help with the scurge of IR35 (there would be no intermediary for hmrc to wine about)
        You mean like BACS? Much easier than cashing a cheque I hear.

Comment

Isn't it the same for most tech pay, permie and contract ?

For Unix/Linux, most perm roles seem to be offering about what they were in year 2000, less if you correct for inflation.

Contracts are about what they were offering in 2006. Again, less in real terms.

It is just the market. Apart from development, which is paid okay, we are still recovering from the credit crunch. Employers obviously want to keep pay low but the market will correct.

Comment

No there is no conspiracy because there is no agent monopoly.

If all agents are offering low rates then one agent can simple step into the market and mop up by offering a slightly higher rate, because obviously the contractors will go through him. An agent on a 5% margin with 100 contractors earns a darn site more than an agent with one contractor on 20%.

If the rates are low across the board, it's because the clients are offering low rates and the reason ?

Easy...offshoring

DB management is easy to offshore.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 December 2014, 17:11.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Dying skill, you need to be thinking "Whats next"
              Genuine question, coming from a SQL/BI developer.

Whats the next thing to start up-skilling in?

Comment

Big Data? Cloud sysadmin stuff?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
                  Genuine question, coming from a SQL/BI developer.

Whats the next thing to start up-skilling in?
                  Oracle SOA Suite.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    If the rates are low across the board, it's because the clients are offering low rates and the reason ?

Easy...offshoring

DB management is easy to offshore.
                    And it ain't just DBAs, either...I've seen loads of jobs, especially in the City, going at pre-2000 rates because the competition is offering onshore/offshore. Hard to compete on price with onshored resources living in dormitory conditions.

Comment

Funny that management never seem to think that management could be offshored too...

Let's face it, robots will replace the manual labour and AI will manage the IT. Then all we'd need is a defence network called skynet. Oh, wait a minute...
                      Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Working...
                      X