• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.NET contracts in Cardiff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LivingUpNorth View Post
    Hi,

I've not done any government work. I'd always assumed if you worked for government or one of its agencies you were ir35-ed. Maybe this assumption is wrong....
    Yes, this assumption is wrong. It depends on the contract and working practices, i.e. it's impossible to generalize, although you are perhaps more likely to get investigated w/ public sector clients. Take each contract offer as it comes, and go through the normal review process.

Comment

Is there enough contract work for 10 months of the year in Cardiff?
      Is the Pope a Jew?

Comment

The train to Bristol is pretty quick, dont rule it out. How many years experience do you have just out of shear curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post
          If you’re going to restrict yourself to only working locally as a contractor, you’ll struggle in any field of expertise (with the possible exception of London). The vast majority of us find it necessary to travel for work
          I very much doubt that to be the case. I think even on CUK, which is by no means representative of the IT Contracting population, it wouldn't be the case that the vast majority (say 75%+ although that's a bit of a low number for 'vast') work away from home more than half the time.

Worth a poll though, it would be very interesting.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
            The train to Bristol is pretty quick, dont rule it out. How many years experience do you have just out of shear curiosity.
            Hi,

Ok you think that commute isn't that bad? I don't know anyone who's done it. Just read a lots of negative things online from people who have tried it.

Got 12 years experience. The last 5 1/2 as a contractor. Worked it in quite a few industry sectors too.

Cheers.
            Last edited by LivingUpNorth; 7 January 2015, 08:39.

Comment

Hi,

Ok you think that commute isn't that bad? I don't know anyone who's done it. Just read a few negative things online from people who have tried it.

Got 12 years experience. The last 5 1/2 as a contractor. Worked it in quite a few industry sectors too.

Cheers.
              A mate of mine drives it. Great if you can find somewhere to park.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I very much doubt that to be the case. I think even on CUK, which is by no means representative of the IT Contracting population, it wouldn't be the case that the vast majority (say 75%+ although that's a bit of a low number for 'vast') work away from home more than half the time.

Worth a poll though, it would be very interesting.
                Yep it would make interesting reading. Let's do a poll

I don't mind manageable commute. Just don't don't want to end up in a hotel through the week as I have a wee boy.

Comment

Have to ask, why Cardiff?

Don't get me wrong I love the place but I also recognise that I'm going to have to travel for work, especially contract.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pondlife;2039561]Have to ask, why Cardiff?

Our current options are stay in Edinburgh or move close to my family in South Wales. We have a wee boy now and wonder if living close to family would suit us better.

I'm originally from Newport. My wife and I lived there after graduating but she didn't settle there. So a job came up in Edinburgh 8 years ago and we went for it. Had a great time up here. Plenty of work up here and the city is beautiful, with lots to see and do.

I miss home and family especially. Up here we have zero support for our boy. Most of our friends don't have kids. It feels like a new chapter of our lives is starting I guess.

We figure Cardiff has a lot of similarities with Edinburgh. They are both relatively small cities with more of a large town feel. Both very green, traffic not too bad, plenty going on. Cardiff is close enough to my family for us to see plenty of them. We are both into our hobbies and it's important to live somewhere we can indulge them. Also its important to live somewhere with lots going on for raising kids.

If I can prove that there is plenty of work in the surroundings area of Cardiff it could be a good option for us.

We did consider Bristol but not so sure it would suit us as we are not big city types.
                    Last edited by LivingUpNorth; 7 January 2015, 15:15.

Comment

All great reasons and obv I'm biased but it's a great place.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Working...
                      X