14 days notice period for contract termination meaning
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default 14 days notice period for contract termination meaning

    Hi,

    I'm a contractor and my contract state a 14 days notice period should be given in order to end the service, before the contract end date. My question is how much penalty needs to be paid to settle the early termination?
    - Is it 10 working days (10 * day rate), which is same as 2 weeks notice period?
    - Is it 14 working days (14 * day rate).

    In either case, any supporting document / link would be much appreciated. I search over the internet for a long time but didn't find any answer, Can someone please help?

    Thanks,
    vijay

  2. #2

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    27,772
    Thanks (Given)
    1396
    Thanks (Received)
    1117
    Likes (Given)
    4484
    Likes (Received)
    4151

    Default

    If it says "14 days" it means by normal custom and practice it means 14 calendar days. If those calendar days fall on a working day that's what you may be entitled to compensation for. So if 12 of those 14 days are normal working days you get 12 days compensation.

    However you may not necessarily be entitled to compensation for being terminated early. Why? Your contract states if there is no work to do then you don't get paid this means only in exceptional circumstances you will be paid for doing nothing.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  3. #3

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,115
    Thanks (Given)
    380
    Thanks (Received)
    1283
    Likes (Given)
    3689
    Likes (Received)
    3201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vj12354 View Post
    Hi,

    I'm a contractor and my contract state a 14 days notice period should be given in order to end the service, before the contract end date. My question is how much penalty needs to be paid to settle the early termination?
    - Is it 10 working days (10 * day rate), which is same as 2 weeks notice period?
    - Is it 14 working days (14 * day rate).

    In either case, any supporting document / link would be much appreciated. I search over the internet for a long time but didn't find any answer, Can someone please help?
    If the client is terminating early, then they will usually have included a clause which means that you don't get paid if you don't work. As such, there is no need for them to terminate, just tell you not to turn up and you get nothing.

    If it's the contractor breaching the contract, then you would need to take professional advice on what the sums are likely to be.
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership
    Monday 27th November 1230-1330: IPSE Update on the Autumn Budget for contractors. Register here.

  4. #4

    Godlike

    BolshieBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    kicking tulip out of a borg cube
    Posts
    5,581
    Thanks (Given)
    9
    Thanks (Received)
    74
    Likes (Given)
    124
    Likes (Received)
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vj12354 View Post

    In either case, any supporting document / link would be much appreciated. I search over the internet for a long time but didn't find any answer, Can someone please help?

    Thanks,
    vijay
    Do you seriously think there's going to be a link on the net for this?

    What does your contract say?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

  5. #5

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    27,772
    Thanks (Given)
    1396
    Thanks (Received)
    1117
    Likes (Given)
    4484
    Likes (Received)
    4151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Do you seriously think there's going to be a link on the net for this?

    What does your contract say?
    He doesn't understand his contract which is the issue.

    I think I posted before that lots of posters who post here don't read and understand their contract before signing it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  6. #6

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    27,772
    Thanks (Given)
    1396
    Thanks (Received)
    1117
    Likes (Given)
    4484
    Likes (Received)
    4151

    Default

    vj12354 I suggest you read the termination clauses in your contract as well.

    There is likely a clause that states that they can either dismiss immediately for any reason, or dismiss you for reasons of performance. If the client does this then definitely do not get any compensation for being terminated early.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  7. #7

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    If it says "14 days" it means by normal custom and practice it means 14 calendar days. If those calendar days fall on a working day that's what you may be entitled to compensation for. So if 12 of those 14 days are normal working days you get 12 days compensation.

    However you may not necessarily be entitled to compensation for being terminated early. Why? Your contract states if there is no work to do then you don't get paid this means only in exceptional circumstances you will be paid for doing nothing.

    In 14 days period, there are just 10 working days at max. But since a month I was asked to work overtime 6-7 days a week. My contract was terminated because the client got some cheap resource and they asked to leave immediately. So as per the contract I want to invoice for 14 days, but they said the pay only for 10 days. And I'm not happy about the client attitude.
    Last edited by vj12354; 3rd December 2014 at 14:56.

  8. #8

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,115
    Thanks (Given)
    380
    Thanks (Received)
    1283
    Likes (Given)
    3689
    Likes (Received)
    3201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vj12354 View Post
    In 14 days period, there are just 10 working days at max. But since a month I was asked to work overtime 6-7 days a week. My contract was terminated because the client got some cheap resource and they asked to leave immediately. So as per the contract I want to invoice for 14 days, but they said the pay only for 10 days. And I'm not happy about the client attitude.
    If they are going to pay you for not doing any work for ten days then shut up, grab the money and run as fast as your little legs will carry you.

    Otherwise, they may read the contract and realise that they don't have to pay you anything for time you don't work and you end up with nothing.

    Thank them for the work, and wish them the best of luck - they may want you back in the future, and any client that doesn't understand their contracts could be a nice one to have again.
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership
    Monday 27th November 1230-1330: IPSE Update on the Autumn Budget for contractors. Register here.

  9. #9

    Banned


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    In NLyUK's knickers
    Posts
    7,799
    Thanks (Given)
    352
    Thanks (Received)
    304
    Likes (Given)
    2683
    Likes (Received)
    1216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post

    Thank them for the work, and wish them the best of luck - they may want you back in the future, and any client that doesn't understand their contracts could be a nice one to have again.
    So is a contractor who doesn't understand/read the contract before/after(!) they sign it, apparently!

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    vj12354 I suggest you read the termination clauses in your contract as well.

    There is likely a clause that states that they can either dismiss immediately for any reason, or dismiss you for reasons of performance. If the client does this then definitely do not get any compensation for being terminated early.

    There is no termination clause, just the a notice period of 14 days from Agency to consultant. There was no specific reason for termination, they said there are getting more experienced personal and so I have to quite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.