• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holidays and IT Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, I find the worst thing to read is people in their 20's living frugally with ambitions to retire very early, around 50, because they hate their job. I often read this in financial independence / early retirement.

Comment

I book 1 or 2 week holidays well in advance 6 to 8 months normally. If it clashes with a contract then it clashes they either take me on with the holiday or they don't.

You will get people on here who will never take holiday as they dwell on every penny they lose but for me life is too short. Money is not that tight so I value 'my' time a lot more.

Time goes quick enjoy it when you can before you realise and its maybe too late.

Comment

Never think of time off as lost income. It'll just make your head pop.

Not time off = mental breakdown eventually. Just go with it and take time off as per normal is my motto.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
          How do you guys do this contracting wise? Imagine your contract will end 31-01-2015.

Would you completely avoid booking a holiday for March 2015, because it would probably be inconvenient to your future employer?
          If I had a contract ending on January 31st 2015, I'd be thinking "are they expecting me to work that Saturday?"

If I wanted a holiday, then I'd book one to go away that week. If I wanted a holiday at a different time, then I'd book a holiday at a different time. I've already booked the flights for the three weeks I'm away in July / August next year, and will tell people that I am unavailable then.

I don't really see an issue.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            If I had a contract ending on January 31st 2015, I'd be thinking "are they expecting me to work that Saturday?"

If I wanted a holiday, then I'd book one to go away that week. If I wanted a holiday at a different time, then I'd book a holiday at a different time. I've already booked the flights for the three weeks I'm away in July / August next year, and will tell people that I am unavailable then.

I don't really see an issue.
            Agree with faqqer. If I plan a holiday outside my current scope of contract then I'll do it. If an extension is offered I'll say btw Im on hols these dates. Would take a lot for me to continue in a gig if client said umm no cant do that. i.e. they'd have to pay for it big time.

Then again, if Im in gig and I know x date is going to a problem 6 months in advance then it makes sense to try to avoid.

Never had hassle yet apart from one place who said I had to tell them of hols for next year even though gig was 2 months. Some ask at interview which is fair enough but I dont take that to include odd day or two. If they're funny about me taking one friday off in 3 months then its a bit wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              You don't get rich by spending it. I find it best to not be tight but still ensure value for your pound where you can.
              I'm rich cause I earn enough to enjoy the nicer things without having to scratch about for the penny's and enjoy my life with my family. You want to be rich with money in the bank. Your choice.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I'm rich cause I earn enough to enjoy the nicer things without having to scratch about for the penny's and enjoy my life with my family. You want to be rich with money in the bank. Your choice.
                There's a difference between being penny wise and being miserly.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  There's a difference between being penny wise and being miserly.
                  Absolutely... Doesn't mean you have to be looking at bargain basement holidays to be penny wise.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    2nd time ever I agree with NLUK.

Comment

I find myself in a strange scenario this week in that some friends are taking the day off from their perm jobs on Wednesday to play golf.

They've asked me to join them and I'm toying with the idea, knowing that I'll have to take a day out, unpaid of course.

I'm totally happy to give up a day's pay to do that as being able to spend quality time with friends is part of why I chose to do this contracting.

However, if those same friends told me they were playing golf on Saturday and it was going to cost me £500, I'd probably say no.

Comment

Working...
                      X