• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Team Mamagement - How Much Involvement ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Mamagement - How Much Involvement ?

Morning all

One of the contracting roles I have on the table includes managing and mentoring a small team of PMs, as well as delivery of projects.

From what I have read managing and mentoring of permanent team is acceptable if I am then not expected to undertake appraisals, career development etc. Is this an accurate summary, or how far can I go in terms of managing team without been deemed as 'part of the company' ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Morning all

One of the contracting roles I have on the table includes managing and mentoring a small team of PMs, as well as delivery of projects.

From what I have read managing and mentoring of permanent team is acceptable if I am then not expected to undertake appraisals, career development etc. Is this an accurate summary, or how far can I go in terms of managing team without been deemed as 'part of the company' ?
    I will be very surprised if you are expected to manage a team and not undertake their appraisals. Same with mentoring-Career development.

They might need a new pair of eyes to see what's going wrong ! (?)

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      I will be very surprised if you are expected to manage a team and not undertake their appraisals. Same with mentoring-Career development.

They might need a new pair of eyes to see what's going wrong ! (?)
      So would that affect my ir35 status based on this or would I still be seen as outside direction and control of the clientco ?

Comment

So would that affect my ir35 status based on this or would I still be seen as outside direction and control of the clientco ?
        My gut feeling would be a yes, because you are being seen as part of the organisation. BUT, I can't see how if you had RoS, lack of MoO, or other D&C indicators exactly how HMRC would win the case.

You could be part of the appraisals process without actually being responsible for it - so you provide input, as they would get from anyone that the employee worked with, but you aren't the person actually doing it.

Get insurance from Qdos if you're worried about it
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You could be, depending on what the role says on your contract. A plain 'Project Manager/Line Manager' could put you on the line.

I presume (happy to stand corrected) something like 'Transformation expert' or 'People Coach' or similar tulip that looks like they are hiring an expert to do something they are not very good at *could* give you immunity. As FaQQer said earlier, a good insurance should help in the worst case.

Comment

What TF said

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              My gut feeling would be a yes, because you are being seen as part of the organisation. BUT, I can't see how if you had RoS, lack of MoO, or other D&C indicators exactly how HMRC would win the case.

You could be part of the appraisals process without actually being responsible for it - so you provide input, as they would get from anyone that the employee worked with, but you aren't the person actually doing it.

Get insurance from Qdos if you're worried about it
              Why QDOS? Surely IPSE is your recommended option (it always was in the past)....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Why QDOS? Surely IPSE is your recommended option (it always was in the past)....
                <malvolio>IPSE don't do insurance</malvolio>

And no, it wasn't. I've always had IPSE+ and Qdos TLC35 (actually, I had Qdos first, and then I heard about the PCG on here, so joined up). If I was being investigated for IR35 (or any other tax investigation covered by my Qdos insurance policy), then I would call them.

Qdos TLC35 will pay the costs of the investigation and also any penalties, whereas IPSE will pay all the costs of the investigation but nothing else if they happen to lose.

I'm not an IPSE+ member for the insurance (or whatever term people want to put on it) that they provide with regard to IR35 - there are other insurances that they provide which make sense to me.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X