• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project is a poisoned chalice - when to walk away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly the problems began when someone though they could save money going down the outsource route.

Unless requirements are fully laid out and explicit every single external supplier I have worked with will take everything to the letter of the requirements even if they know that is not the spirit of the requirement - why would they do anything else they are in it to make as much money as possible and they can make a fortune from rework where the requirements are even slightly ambiguous.

As others have said as the supplier selection was no doubt made at an exec level based purely on price then shouting about it too much will get you canned, smile keep invoicing and take what you can.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Sadly the problems began when someone though they could save money going down the outsource route.

Unless requirements are fully laid out and explicit every single external supplier I have worked with will take everything to the letter of the requirements even if they know that is not the spirit of the requirement - why would they do anything else they are in it to make as much money as possible and they can make a fortune from rework where the requirements are even slightly ambiguous.

As others have said as the supplier selection was no doubt made at an exec level based purely on price then shouting about it too much will get you canned, smile keep invoicing and take what you can.
      Project wasn't outsourced.

These boys were operating through their own Ltds

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post

There is one of you and more of them. Plus they have been working there longer.

I would find a new contract and walk leaving them in the tulip.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Where's the Indian connection then? Bobs who "settled" and set up their Ltd Cos?

Comment

Well it is still outsourced in that those people who do the work are solely interested in making as much money as possible out of the project and not in making the project successful (to an extent where they cannot be clearly blamed).

As opposed to using internal dev resources who are paid and judged on their ability to deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              There is one of you and more of them. Plus they have been working there longer.

I would find a new contract and walk leaving them in the tulip.
              I've already sent the email so my head is over the parapet now.

The contractor devs in question were fired. People further up the chain are under the impression that the new guys have rewritten everything but the reality is that they've been reusing a lot of the old cr@p.

Any further development on any new functionality built on such a flakey foundation is doomed to failure. This will involve me working late nights, weekends etc before I am sent packing.

I'd rather preempt all this right now. I'd walk - but its getting to that time of year & I've already had the summer off

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Where's the Indian connection then? Bobs who "settled" and set up their Ltd Cos?
              Got it in one!

Comment

My mantra is keep smiling keep invoicing. Oh and i don't do weekends or lates is another one

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
                  My mantra is keep smiling keep invoicing. Oh and i don't do weekends or lates is another one
                  This.

Although if they were really pushing weekends and evenings, I would be likely to consider my position.

Comment

Everything is negotiable but if they want me working when i should be drinking stella its going to cost them loads!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
                      I'll do weekends or lates, it'll cost a lot more, but I'll do them.
                      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                      X