• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why screening by outsourcers may be over the top?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone. Consider this scenario.

On 1st of the month, agent contacts contractor with good news - clientco wants you onboard? Congratulations.

However, start date is only determined once their very strict screening process has been completed. But in reality, clientco wants you to start on the 1st of the next month. However, contractor doesn't get to know that. Clientco may not want the contractor to know that, hoping the contractor will stay with the screening process.

The matter is referred to screening team, who have been outsourced by clientco, let's call them screenco. Clientco like screenco as they're cheaper than their previous HR situation.

In this scenario, it's not exactly in screenco's interest to have you cleared very quickly. Think about it. As long as you get cleared before the clientco start date, or acceptable service level agreement they have with clientco e.g. screening decision made 2 days before start date, then all is good.

So how do they prolong it? Well, there are several ways, such as demanding exact dates for all your activities in the gaps, wanting to know what that £5 that came into your personal bank account was, demanding personal emails of you applying for jobs even if they don't exist.

They will claim that all are clientco requirements and job offer withdrawn if you don't co-operate. But then you must ask yourselves how genuine those threats are when you're dealing with often immature and poorly trained and paid staff at screenco who clearly don't understand the documents you have promptly provided. Would clientco really attribute so much power to those people? I suspect not.

Screenco are just delaying the clearance until 2 days before clientco start date so they can tick the box and maximise their timesheet income having to 'deal' with you, mr contractor.

Clearly, clientco don't get to know about screenco and how they treated the contractor. They see you turning up at clientco's starting date and think nothing of it.

For screenco, you, the candidate that must be cleared, are their client. Prolonging the screening requirements from you means more timesheet entries for them, for which clientco pays.
    Last edited by DTexas; 25 October 2014, 17:20.

Are you sure that your paranoia hasn't got out of control. The story you outline has 1 big fundamental gap in it.

Most contractors once they think they are being messed around take another contract...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Most contractors once they think they are being messed around take another contract...
      In a market full of milk and honey then, sure.

Comment

I went through SC earlier in the year and it was nothing like what you have described.

Unless you are going for DV clearance I suggest you are offering your own interpretation of events to suit your narrative.

I offer no stronger language out of respect for this being a professional forum.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          I went through SC earlier in the year and it was nothing like what you have described.
          I am suggesting that the amount of SC that takes place can vary, depending on many factors but also including the desire of screenco to stretch it out for timesheet purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Are you sure that your paranoia hasn't got out of control. The story you outline has 1 big fundamental gap in it.

You can feel his pain , I left an American bank 4 weeks ago (they have a 2 year rule) started at a Swiss bank after them asking for my O level results from high school (not mentioned in my cv) and delaying my start until I got my mum to go up the loft and have a look from 28 years ago !!!

We need to change the way this crazy system works

And to top it of, my old client have just called me up and offered me a new role if I pass the credit checks again!! I only left then 4 weeks ago !!!

Comment

This is why screenco love to see any gaps on CV, since in response they can ask you to prove a negative, hence an endless amount of things they can ask you to provide to justify your activities in those times.

This is the real reason surely they want to delve into your emails, bank statements or trips abroad.

None of it is actually any of their business. Just an excuse to go to town and fill up timesheets.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                You can feel his pain , I left an American bank 4 weeks ago (they have a 2 year rule) started at a Swiss bank after them asking for my O level results from high school (not mentioned in my cv) and delaying my start until I got my mum to go up the loft and have a look from 28 years ago !!!

We need to change the way this crazy system works

And to top it of, my old client have just called me up and offered me a new role if I pass the credit checks again!! I only left then 4 weeks ago !!!
                Er, sorry, on another thread didnt you say youd bin off a contractor who didnt work a regular 8 hour day?

And you say you want to change the way the crazy system works when a potential client asks you for irrelevant 28 year old school qualifications?

Maybe telling said client 28 year old school qualifactions have no bearing on you application for their role and change your own outlook to fellow contractors too, would be a start?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The fundamental flaw in this Grimm fairy tale is that it's unlikely the client gave their screeners a blank chequebook to print their own money. It's far more likely that they are paid by application than by time logged against individual applications so it would be in the screeners interest to either pass or fail someone as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Once again OP, if you don't like it, complain to the client with your concerns and be prepared to find another role. It is as close to the 'land of milk and honey' as we have been for a long while and in my daily jobserve email results, I have hundreds of roles - every single day and many, many, many of them are financial or banking or compliance roles.

Comment

Tell the agency that until you have a confirmed start date, you will be considering other opportunities. That puts the emphasis on everyone to get you started ASAP or lose their preferred candidate.

I keep looking until I'm on site, and the agency knows it.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X