• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why screening by outsourcers may be over the top?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    The fundamental flaw in this Grimm fairy tale is that it's unlikely the client gave their screeners a blank chequebook to print their own money.
    Oddly enough, it's how outsourcers often work. They just bill their client on agreed rates. Clientco takes little interest usually, unless it goes silly.

Comment

Jesus this guy is tedious. Did we ever find out if it is FrankBigBird?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Jesus this guy is tedious. Did we ever find out if it is FrankBigBird?
        Have you tried asking your accountant?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Done underestimate the ineptitude of these outsourced screening companies. The last time I did it I was sent the full application of 2 random people by mistake, including address, salary of last 3 roles and scan of their passport. When I complained all I got was a "very sorry sorry" email

Comment

I've had contracts with 4 different Financial institutes/ banks in recent years and I'm amazed at how different the checks are between them all. If they're really that important then why aren't they all checking the same 'important' things.

For example, the last one I had to explain every gap in my CV in a fair bit of detail. I understand that.

This one, I just needed a letter from my accountant to say that I have been operating as an Ltd for at least 2 years. They told me if they've got that, they don't care about the gaps.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              Done underestimate the ineptitude of these outsourced screening companies. The last time I did it I was sent the full application of 2 random people by mistake, including address, salary of last 3 roles and scan of their passport. When I complained all I got was a "very sorry sorry" email
              I hope that you notified the client and the two affected applicants as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                One other point, the agency should be interested in supporting you through the screening process as there is a contract on the line.

My View ....

1. It has been recognised by large financial institutions and auditors that there is a very large risk of insiders compromising systems. When there are millions/billions at play the potential for an insider to cause significant damage is significant.
                2. Recognising that an applicant is misrepresenting themselves on their CV is a significant indicator of a potentially untrustworthy individual.
                3. This has nothing to do with being a Ltd Company contractor or IR35 or permanent.

Bearing these three points in mind, my conclusions,

1. The client doesn't give a toss if you do walk before screening.
                2. If you can't handle this suggest you grow a pair and suck it up. For lots of secure industries this is the way it is going to be.
                3. The cost of not doing this and being utterly pedantic about it is the client gets landed with a massive fine and audit failure /or gets some headlines about how a Director had a fake Phd.
                4. My present client fails around 40% of all applicants, so the idea that this is a waste of time is not being borne out by the results.

Basically, you are pissing in the wind and the client will not be interested in your moaning. My suggestion is you keep a record and copies of each application so you can easily access the info for your next contract.
                Are you really serious?

working for a bank you tell me why a credit check should be undertaken? what justifies this?

A criminal records check is the only thing these people should be able to undertake, but this will only pick out people who have been caught previously.

Gaps in employment, I can understand the CV or letter should cover this, but tell me why a candidate should reveal this information to a Bank?

What next? your girlfriend history?

The only people who should be allowed this type of information is government positions.

Massive abuse of powers and people should wake up and not accept this crap

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
                  The only people who should be allowed this type of information is government positions.

I think the rules are simple. If you want to work for them you follow their rules....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

working for a bank you tell me why a credit check should be undertaken? what justifies this?
                    If you are massively in debt, and are then in a position to be working on financial systems, some people wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to channel those spare half cents into their bank account.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why screening by outsourcers may be over the top?

Are you really serious?

A criminal records check is the only thing these people should be able to undertake, but this will only pick out people who have been caught previously.

Gaps in employment, I can understand the CV or letter should cover this, but tell me why a candidate should reveal this information to a Bank?

What next? your girlfriend history?

When I was at RBS the credit check failed 8 out or 13 candidates.

One chaps ex-wife ran up her phone bill, defaulted on it (chap knew nothing about it) but offer was withdrawn to him !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X