• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-employment & employment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-employment & employment

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. If not, I guess the mod(s) will move it.
    If I am currently a sole trader and have helped a number of companies, but for one or two reasons, wish to dip my toes back into the 'employment market', and I spot a temporary job e.g. through a recruitment agency, how would I go about applying for that job?
    Obviously, there is going to be a gap on my CV due to my self-employment, however how would this be viewed by an agency (or even the employer)?
    Has anyone here, for whatever reason, been in that situation?
    If so, how did you deal with it?
    Hope my question is clear enough. Thanks.

Originally posted by tdhgeek007 View Post
    Obviously, there is going to be a gap on my CV due to my self-employment
    Why do you think the space should not contain the self employment stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Why do you think the space should not contain the self employment stuff?
      Hi, yeah, I had thought of that one, but if I did put the information in, I wouldn't be able to give fixed dates due to the random as and when needed nature of my work.
      I suppose agencies must deal with people who are self-employed, all of the time???

Comment

If I am currently a sole trader and have helped a number of companies, but for one or two reasons, wish to dip my toes back into the 'employment market', and I spot a temporary job e.g. through a recruitment agency, how would I go about applying for that job?
        Obviously, there is going to be a gap on my CV due to my self-employment, however how would this be viewed by an agency (or even the employer)?
        I haven't been in the situation, but I would put something like:

2008-2014 Self-employed Widget-wangler
        Key clients included: Acme Widget Co., Kwiky-widgets PLC, Shawadiwadi Widgets LLP.
        Provided expert advice and guidance on how to wangle a widget etc. etc.

I certainly wouldn't leave a gap if you have relevant experience that you would normally include if you had been working for someone else.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you do leave it out and it comes out further down the line you could get yourself in a lot of hot water. If that isn't on what else is/isn't on. Client may not take too kindly to a doctored CV.

TF's plan sounds like a good one to me.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If you do leave it out and it comes out further down the line you could get yourself in a lot of hot water. If that isn't on what else is/isn't on. Client may not take too kindly to a doctored CV.

TF's plan sounds like a good one to me.
            Surely a CV is a sales document, not a background history analysis. Obviously you never lie on a CV, but it doesn't mean every detail of your employment has to go on if you don't want it there.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Surely a CV is a sales document, not a background history analysis. Obviously you never lie on a CV, but it doesn't mean every detail of your employment has to go on if you don't want it there.
              CV roughly translated means course of my life so is not a sales document technically. Also remember the audience. It might to be us but it is most unlikely to be seen like that by a hiring manager. There is a good chance he won't be best pleased to find out bits are missing, particularly if any financial or other vetting is to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                I think most employers only tend to want to see the last 3 to 5 years on a CV anyway, unless you're going for one of those jobs where they want to know everything, including the number of times you visit the toilet a day.

I guess if it was either direct employer or through agency, it would just be straightforward paye????

Comment

I think most employers only tend to want to see the last 3 to 5 years on a CV anyway, unless you're going for one of those jobs where they want to know everything, including the number of times you visit the toilet a day.

I guess if it was either direct employer or through agency, it would just be straightforward paye????
                  Eh??

Comment

If you are going to be credit checked or otherwise they may want to go back further. And considering the poster was self-employed recently he needs to put this information down.

This is senseless.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X