• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting without an agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting without an agency

Hi fellows,
    just got my first contract with my PLC and a big insurance company without passing through an agency/recruiter.
    The offer is for a Project Manager and I negiotiated a very good rate.
    Have you got any experience of direct contracting? Any advice to share?
    Thanks,
    Zz

There are many advantages of working directly, but good payment terms and prompt payment are typically not included, so be prepared to chase payments and (although it's probably too late now) focus on negotiating favorable payment terms. In my experience, 30 days (followed by chasing) is typically the best you can expect, and it's sometimes much worse. I see you mention that the client is a large insurer, but you should ordinarily credit check the client too.

Comment

If its a big place, you need to be sure that they can go direct. If they've done it before then fine, but I once had a situation where the clientco contact wanted me direct, but then found out he couldn't do it that way.

Large companies often have policies where they can only source through preferred suppliers and agencies. The risk is that as you've negotiated a rate already, and if you then need to go through one of their agencies, whilst you can impose a low percentage for them, you will ultimately sacrifice some of the rate to make it worth their while.

Comment

I have already signed the contract and payment terms are 30 days. The company prides itself by punctual payments. Will see...

Comment

Originally posted by zerointeractive View Post
          I have already signed the contract and payment terms are 30 days. The company prides itself by punctual payments. Will see...
          Just be prepared to walk out if their invoices are consistently late. However make sure the work is half done
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            The risk is that as you've negotiated a rate already, and if you then need to go through one of their agencies, whilst you can impose a low percentage for them, you will ultimately sacrifice some of the rate to make it worth their while.
            Not necessarily. The rate had been agreed. If the client then wants to go via an agency, then (AFAIC) they can pay the extra costs associated with using an agency.

It's all down to negotiation though.
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Hi fellows,
              just got my first contract with my PLC and a big insurance company without passing through an agency/recruiter.
              The offer is for a Project Manager and I negiotiated a very good rate.
              Have you got any experience of direct contracting? Any advice to share?
              Thanks,
              Zz
              Keep an eye on your invoices to make sure they get paid - my current client lost one of mine and one for another contractor in our team.

Make sure the client don't see you as a permie, which may be more likely if there is no agency in the mix.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Make sure the client don't see you as a permie, which may be more likely if there is no agency in the mix.
                This was one of my doubts because invoicing with my own company may let me look like I am an employee although I am the one doing all the work (invoice included).
                How would you differentiate in this case ? Working extra hours ? ...may not be the best option tough.

Comment

This was one of my doubts because invoicing with my own company may let me look like I am an employee although I am the one doing all the work (invoice included).
                  How would you differentiate in this case ? Working extra hours ? ...may not be the best option tough.
                  You should start by doing some reading on IR35, as you don't appear to be familiar with the basics. Get your contract and working practices reviewed to begin with. Plenty of info. to the right ------>

Comment

Hi fellows,
                    just got my first contract with my PLC...
                    Ltd, surely?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X