• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract but No Contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had the director contact me late this evening apologising for the inexperience of his staff and that its basically a one off.

He promised me he would have the contract sorted by lunchtime Monday and has agreed to confirm anything I require regarding the contract via an email including rate, duration anything specific to the contract.

He has even gone as far as saying he (the agency) will pay me for the first days work, if the contract I receive on Monday turns out to be a deal breaker - which he is happy to confirm in an email as well.

The employee from the agency is a uni leaver so it could be very well just inexperience....

Comment

The director has emailed me this morning with the stated day rate and duration of contract.

He said to also let him know if anything else is required for clarification via email today and again reiterated he will ensure the contract will be with me by tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by chris101 View Post
        I have had the director contact me late this evening apologising for the inexperience of his staff and that its basically a one off.

He promised me he would have the contract sorted by lunchtime Monday and has agreed to confirm anything I require regarding the contract via an email including rate, duration anything specific to the contract.

He has even gone as far as saying he (the agency) will pay me for the first days work, if the contract I receive on Monday turns out to be a deal breaker - which he is happy to confirm in an email as well.

The employee from the agency is a uni leaver so it could be very well just inexperience....
        The director has emailed me this morning with the stated day rate and duration of contract.

He said to also let him know if anything else is required for clarification via email today and again reiterated he will ensure the contract will be with me by tomorrow afternoon.
        Well if you believe everything he's telling you. Ever bought a car from a secondhand car dealer?

You dont need \ want explanations. You want terms and conditions written down and signed by the director sent to you in a contract.

Personally, I would never have started a contract without all the correct paperwork and having it reviewed by Bauer & Cottrill.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If you're getting the contract through by Monday lunchtime, you could pop that into a 24 hour expedited review, attend your other interviews, with a view to start this one on Wednesday if all goes well. It also gives you time to read the contract yourself. You lose 2 days billing for peace of mind that you're not being stitched up.

That's just my opinion.

Comment

I think I am inclined to wait for my contract until I review it as the following is the latest developments with regards to the agency -

Email -

From Me - "I am still awaiting to hear back from my accountant however I know one vital area he wanted to confirm was if any of the contracts fell inside of IR35?

Could you please let me know as soon as you can with regards to this and the moment my accountant has been in touch, I will inform you of any further questions he may have."

Response from Agency -

"We have been recruiting contractors for more than 30 years. Our contracts written to be as IR35 friendly as possible.

Hopefully you will start tomorrow as planned and can trust me that I'll have this sorted out before midday?"

Do you all think I should still wait until the contract is reviewed?

Comment

We have given our opinion. The last decision is yours.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I also have 3 interviews of Monday which I had schedules prior to getting this job. If I should start this job in Monday I need to email the other 3 agencies ASAP to let them know of my decision.
                If you have 3 interviews lined up for Monday, just go for these? Or are you saying you had 3 interviews on the Monday just gone, about 6 days ago?
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                  If you have 3 interviews lined up for Monday, just go for these? Or are you saying you had 3 interviews on the Monday just gone, about 6 days ago?
                  I have 3 tomorrow - 1 telephone and 2 face to face.

Out of all the jobs including this one, this job pays the best...
                  Obviously I have this job in the bad and the others are possibilities

Comment

I have 3 tomorrow - 1 telephone and 2 face to face.

Out of all the jobs including this one, this job pays the best...
                    Obviously I have this job in the bad and the others are possibilities
                    Do the interviews tomorrow whilst you finalise the contract paperwork.

The 'Director' should realise that as it is one of his team that has cocked up then the onus should not be on you to expedite this, just so you can turn up on Monday. Trust doesn't come into to it - you have to do the required dotting and crossing of paperwork before proceeding (IMHO).

Comment

Could I risk loosing this contract all together though?

He did suggest yesterday over the phone that as an agency they can pay me directly for one days work and then review the contract tomorrow afternoon/evening.

If I get that off him in an email, should I accept?

Comment

Working...
                      X