• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Shennanigans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Shennanigans

Bit of advice, or at least a view from a different perspective, needed… awaiting NLUK – are you sure you’re cut out to be a contractor? –

The premise of my predicament is I have been contracting with company A and company B via agency A. I’m not in the IT industry, so rather my time is billed on a project rather than day rate i.e. payments at project intervals, typically 25% on start, 25% on the middle milestone and 50% on completion.

Everything’s been going well, perhaps too well, for the last 12 months. Here comes the problem; company B has acquired company A mid project and wish to retain my services for Co A’s project – the contract therefore is being reissued and company B want to inflate the rate paid to me for the completion of the project – this isn’t from the niceness of their hearts, but rather because of the added level of complexity from the acquisition and to complete the project to the original deadline.

Brilliant, right? Here comes the snag, I’ve seen the purchase order, in fact I have a copy of it that was sent to Agency A, however the pimp at agency a is stating that there is no need to reissue the contract between my co and the agency (no mention of co a in contract or work schedule, I've checked); only agency contract with Co B is affected, therefore, I presume, they swallow the entire updated project cost; this is a six figure number. Pimp obviously has no idea that I’m more than aware of the rate uplift for project completion. Could this even be construed as fraud on the part of the agency?

I’ve got a meeting with the agency this afternoon – how would you handle this? Going direct with co B is not an option (not due to any handcuffing clauses, they categorically state they will not engage contractors directly). Before today I’ve had a great working relationship with the agency (although it’s a new pimp). My plan is to play dumb, see what the agency say and then mention the discrepancy to Co B in our catch-up this evening, obviously without signing anything. I’m debating raising this immediately, however, as I’m hesitant to do anything that could potentially sour my relationship with Co B.

Over to the learned minds of CUK.

Seems to me you hold all the cards and it's just a matter of when and how you boot the agency in the stones.

I'd do it yourself first, tell them there must be a new contract as the client wants to pay more to make sure you stick around/difficulty in work etc.

Any nonsense, let the client know.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Seems to me you hold all the cards and it's just a matter of when and how you boot the agency in the stones.

I'd do it yourself first, tell them there must be a new contract as the client wants to pay more to make sure you stick around/difficulty in work etc.

Yes. This the obvious and probably only option. At least you will be ahead of any spiel the agency is concocting.

Comment

Make the first move, no need to play nice with the agency if they ARE trying to pull a fast one.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

+1

I'd say to the agency something like "I presume there will be some kind of increase in the rate because of the added complexity of the project now that there is the acquisition in place" and see what they say. I'd bet something like "yes, I told the client that they should be paying more, and I've got you an increase..."

Congratulations. Now milk the pimp for all that he is worth (and a significant amount more than that as well)
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X