• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signed renewal, does this constitute acceptance if you dont attend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    FWIW I had to do something similar. I was offered a renewal, accepted it and then a job came along that I couldn't didn't want to turn down. I served notice under the terms of my contract and while the woman I worked for was disappointed, it was justifiable given the increase in rate and duration the other job was offering.

By the same token, if the budget was cut, they would have no quarms in cancelling the extension and serving me notice.
    Qualms

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      Qualms
      qualms

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        qualms

To be fair, he said they would have no quarms. Which, I suspect they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
          To be fair, he said they would have no quarms. Which, I suspect they didn't.
          wouldn't
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

FWIW I had to do something similar. I was offered a renewal, accepted it and then a job came along that I couldn't turn down. I served notice under the terms of my contract and while the woman I worked for was disappointed, it was justifiable given the increase in rate and duration the other job was offering.

By the same token, if the budget was cut, they would have no quarms in cancelling the extension and serving me notice.
            Which is why for those clients and agencies who sort out renewals early, its often wise to drag it out a bit especially if your thinking you might leave.

Never understood why some clients leave it until the last day. All this does, even for those who really want to stay, is force contractor to look at other options just in case. Seen it a million times, contractor has no intention of leaving, client pisses about with extension, contractor gets call 2-3 days before end of gig, and goes somewhere else. A lot of the time contractors wouldnt even have bothered looking elsewhere.

Not cool, but even if you accepted renewal as you say I would say its not a problem to give notice correctly. And I agree too what you say about the client.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Never understood why some clients leave it until the last day. All this does, even for those who really want to stay, is force contractor to look at other options just in case.
              I think a large part of it is down to human nature. Everything is pootling along fine and very often, they just don't realise unless someone tells them.

I always starting raising the issue with 4 weeks to go, especially when I'd be happy to extend.

Even when I don't want to extend, I want to get it on their radar early for handovers.

Comment

By the same token, if the budget was cut, they would have no qualms in cancelling the extension and serving me notice.
                Exactly, all a bit academic anyway as my renewal has 1 week's notice period. Not worried about burning this bridge this time around as they tend to treat people quite poorly when they want to sack them. Always thought it would be nice to take them into an office and tell them I will not be needing their services anymore should the moment present itself.

Comment

Originally posted by coxsox View Post
                  Exactly, all a bit academic anyway as my renewal has 1 week's notice period. Not worried about burning this bridge this time around as they tend to treat people quite poorly when they want to sack them. Always thought it would be nice to take them into an office and tell them I will not be needing their services anymore should the moment present itself.
                  Agreed. Some clients I've been sorry to leave and felt a bit sorry for them when I've decided to move on.
                  One or two I've had great fun telling them Im not renwewing and watching their face.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X