• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Decision Alert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Decision Alert

So it looks like I could potentially be in the fortunate position of potentially having 2 gig offers (only candidate initially being put forward for both!!) and assuming I am offered both then I'm really not sure which one would be best to go for, here's the lowdown.

Both roles are a similar commuting distance ~1.15hr (Gig A 35miles but 1/2 of it tulipty town traffic, Gig B 50 miles Motorway + daily parking expenses)
    Both gigs are paying exactly the same, and its the best rate I've had to date

Gig A. Working for a Law firm I've never heard of but seem pretty substantial, they have big offices in a number of major cities.
    Gig B. National recognised betting company, good household name to have on your CV for future clients

Gig A. Opportunity to potentially up skill with new technology MS Dynamics AX

Now I have a face to face interview for Law firm Gig(A) on Monday and the pimp for Betting Gig(B) is trying to rush through a phone interview for today and was obviously pressing me to see if I would take it if they offered and not even go to the other interview. I've said tbh I'd probably want to do the interview on Monday anyway and make my decision after.

He said that that's fine but he would probably have to put other candidates forward for the role in that case but I said that's fine (I don't think he has anyone else. Pretty niche level skillset in my location)

So if you were offered both what would you do?

Gig A Less well known client but an opportunity to up skill (maybe), may open up more possible opportunities for future gigs requiring AX experience which is pretty niche and demand pretty good day rates, probably more office skirt to ogle at as its a law firm
    or
    Gig B. Big household name, good experience, good on CV, probably look attractive to other gaming/betting firms in the future and there are quite a few located near me

Virtual Coin Toss

In all seriousness it would be A for the up-skilling I think

Comment

A.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A for me. Only because although never experienced it myself, everyone I know who has worked at a gaming organisation has hated it.

Comment

Is it a magic circle firm?

No matter. A.

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
            ...Gig B. Big household name, good experience, good on CV
            If you have other big names on your resume then you don't desperately need this one. So screw gig B, pick gig A and skill up

Comment

I would wait until I was offered at least both, otherwise the only decision is to take the one that you may be offered or not. You seem to be jumping the gun and wanting to make a choice between the two when there is no offer at all yet.

You are giving too much information to both agents. Also, don't make assumptions on what the agent has put forward. He may be worshipping four of you. Agents occasionally tell lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
                So it looks like I could potentially be in the fortunate position of potentially having 2 gig offers (only candidate initially being put forward for both!!) and assuming I am offered both then I'm really not sure which one would be best to go for, here's the lowdown.

Both roles are a similar commuting distance ~1.15hr (Gig A 35miles but 1/2 of it tulipty town traffic, Gig B 50 miles Motorway + daily parking expenses)
                Both gigs are paying exactly the same, and its the best rate I've had to date

Gig A. Working for a Law firm I've never heard of but seem pretty substantial, they have big offices in a number of major cities.
                Gig B. National recognised betting company, good household name to have on your CV for future clients

Gig A. Opportunity to potentially up skill with new technology MS Dynamics AX

Now I have a face to face interview for Law firm Gig(A) on Monday and the pimp for Betting Gig(B) is trying to rush through a phone interview for today and was obviously pressing me to see if I would take it if they offered and not even go to the other interview. I've said tbh I'd probably want to do the interview on Monday anyway and make my decision after.

He said that that's fine but he would probably have to put other candidates forward for the role in that case but I said that's fine (I don't think he has anyone else. Pretty niche level skillset in my location)

So if you were offered both what would you do?

Gig A Less well known client but an opportunity to up skill (maybe), may open up more possible opportunities for future gigs requiring AX experience which is pretty niche and demand pretty good day rates, probably more office skirt to ogle at as its a law firm
                or
                Gig B. Big household name, good experience, good on CV, probably look attractive to other gaming/betting firms in the future and there are quite a few located near me
                Why are you worrying over this exactly. You have not been offered either job. Securing an interview doesn't mean you will be offered any of them. Not saying you won't get either or both but I wouldn't even waste my time worrying about it until you know for sure.

I have had a few shoe in's in my time only for it not to go according to the script for one reason or another.

That said I would go for option A. New skills are far more important than having a name on your CV IMHO.

Comment

Why is a law firm using AX?

Comment

Go with the law firm. Gambling is dirty money.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X