• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home calculators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take home calculators

Hi all,

I'm about to start contracting but wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

Has anyone used the SJD or Nixon Williams take home calculators? Are they broadly accurate? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Hi all,

I'm about to start contracting but wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

Has anyone used the SJD or Nixon Williams take home calculators? Are they broadly accurate? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
    Lots. They are only estimates, do not rely on them. Ignore expenses, they are not income, although they may reduce your personal tax slightly. Don't assume you work 365 days a year like the calculators do, it's more like 210. The objective is to cover your bench time as well as your working time, so taking everything out of the company is generally a bad idea. All of which means the calculators, long term, aren't that useful.

Plenty of good guides around, over there --->, on the IPSE website (www.ipse.co.uk) and both the accountants' sites. Get reading.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks Mal - I've ignored the expenses bit but I've calculated for 240 days a year. Good to know what others use.

Steve the money isn't the concern, it's more that I don't want any nasty surprises.

Comment

Thanks Mal - I've ignored the expenses bit but I've calculated for 240 days a year. Good to know what others use.

Steve the money isn't the concern, it's more that I don't want any nasty surprises.
        I suggest you read about IR35 then, there's a link over there ------------------------------------------------------->
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

210 days is reasonable. I reckon on 220 days, but it's less if you take shorter contracts and dependes of course on how much holiday you take and how much you allow for sickness.

240 days = 48 weeks per years, so assumes you take off bank holidays, a couple of days sick, two week holidays and no bench time.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            210 days is reasonable. I reckon on 220 days, but it's less if you take shorter contracts and dependes of course on how much holiday you take and how much you allow for sickness.

240 days = 48 weeks per years, so assumes you take off bank holidays, a couple of days sick, two week holidays and no bench time.

Best to do a range. Best case, worst case, likely. 240 is the max.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've not counted the days billed since my trading year 2011-12 (and the past few have been good), but before that my longest year was 204 billable days.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Most of the contracts in my industry and role are 6 months which get extended at least once. So I don't plan on much bench time, although I know it may not work out like that.

I plan on taking very little if any holiday for the first year to help build up my war chest.

Comment

Most of the contracts in my industry and role are 6 months which get extended at least once. So I don't plan on much bench time, although I know it may not work out like that.

I plan on taking very little if any holiday for the first year to help build up my war chest.
                  That is a good strategy, as long as you are not reliant on that strategy.

Comment

The one at Nixon Williams allows you to select your own criteria, so it is more transparent than others I have seen. You can also print the breakdown so nothing is hidden.

https://www.nixonwilliams.com/net_pay_calculator.asp
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X