• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Request for interview but agency saying rate has now been cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    I never discuss the rate with the client. I don't think they would dscuss their budget on the phone to an unknown applicant anyway. Negotiate with the agency and tell them you are sticking to the original rate.
    I've had clients' show or mention the rate with me at interview. This is because they want to check the agency isn't ripping both of us off.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
      How much do you want the role?

You could call the agents bluff and state that the rate you quoted is your final rate - take it or leave it.

It is your call and if you are confident of getting another role (or an extension) then you are in a more powerful position than if your Co. need the money desperately
      This.

Likely the agent is trying it on so you either stand firm and say no or cave.

Your call.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I happily discuss rates with clients, but I'd judge my moment in the telephone interview. If it all sounds positive then just say you appreciate your asking rate (x+100) is at the top of their budget but you believe it is market rate for the work. See what the response is.

Comment

Just be careful there isn't another contractor who said OK to £x + £100 - £40.

If you go above this, you're more expensive than the other guy (less margin for the agent)
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            Just be careful there isn't another contractor who said OK to £x + £100 - £40.

If you go above this, you're more expensive than the other guy (less margin for the agent)
            this is the crux of it.

In leans times, not many contracts around, agencies can play these games.

Principled stands are easy when the market is in our favor, OR your war chest is large.

Comment

Crumbs, no. I wouldn't ever discuss my rate with the client.

I'd personally leave any negotiating around rate and/or terms until the client likes me and I'm in more control.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                I'd personally leave any negotiating around rate and/or terms until the client likes me and I'm in more control.
                This is something I'm having really trouble with at the moment. Agents want to pin me down on rate before even submitting my CV (I'm having a standoff with an agent over this today in fact). It's only when I know that they want me that I actually have some bargaining power in the rate negotiation.

I don't think I was being asked to nail down a rate before interview a few years ago: also this tends to make me think the only sifting the agent is doing is price.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  In leans times, not many contracts around, agencies can play these games.

Principled stands are easy when the market is in our favor, OR your war chest is large.
                  Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
                  This is something I'm having really trouble with at the moment. Agents want to pin me down on rate before even submitting my CV (I'm having a standoff with an agent over this today in fact). It's only when I know that they want me that I actually have some bargaining power in the rate negotiation.

I don't think I was being asked to nail down a rate before interview a few years ago: also this tends to make me think the only sifting the agent is doing is price.
                  They can afford to be picky.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post

What rate was it advertised for? Frankly, I don't really care what rate was discussed before interview - once I understand the role, location etc, I can tell them I'd like to negotiate on the rate if the role is offered. Anything discussed beforehand is just waffle.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                      I don't really care what rate was discussed before interview - once I understand the role, location etc, I can tell them I'd like to negotiate on the rate if the role is offered. Anything discussed beforehand is just waffle.
                      That's good advice. I might start thinking about going low to get my foot in the door.

Comment

Working...
                      X