• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reason for leaving - help needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reason for leaving - help needed

I am a software developer presently in probation with one of the UK based software services firm. My family and home is in London but my work location is Manchester. I have been thinking to start contracting around London since last few months.
    My present situation is that I am seeing an issue with my manager and she seems to be having very high expectations from me. I am sure she will not be giving a good feedback. My probation discussion is due for next week.

I am preparing the for the worst case where my probation may not extend and I may be terminated. In such a scenario, what can I give as a reason for employment ending? My company has a policy that it discloses only the dates of employment. However, it has six months probation and if my probation ends, then it will end before 6 months. My colleagues know about my contributions and appreciate it. They have also offered me references in case I need it.

I need help in providing the suitable reason for leaving.

Can I give the below as reason for employment ending ? :
    I wanted to start contracting and Manchester was far from my home and family in London and wanted to get back to and work in London. So I resigned.

With the above reason, I will be restricting myself to contracting which I actually wanted to start soon. But, I will also be restricting to London based opportunities. I prefer to work around London but if situation arises, I do not mind working in some other location for some time on a short term contract and then move back to London later.

Please help.

Thanks in advance ,
    Stit

Reason for leaving? - "I decided to go contracting." enough said..

You want more? - "I always wanted to go contracting, the opportunity arose and I took it." next question..

When a recruiter is looking for a contractor it's usually to fill an immediate short term role and typically all they're interested in is a) when are you available?, b) can you do it?, c) how much?

It's a lifestyle choice. If you present yourself as doing it because you are confident being in business on you own account then that's how you're more likely to be treated. A year from now it'll be a distant memory and hopefully you would have manned up have more experience how to deal with difficult management/situations.

Comment

Why???

U need a reason??

Just tell them you have decided to move on. End of.

Comment

Contracting is not for you by the sounds of it.
        Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Don't sweat it.

They should have been setting you tasks then evaluating with you those tasks during the probation period so that you are aware of what you should be doing and if you are falling short in the execution of those tasks. Not getting taken on at the end of the probation period shouldn't come as a shock as there should have been plenty of notice beforehand.

If they haven't been doing that then it's probably not a good place to work.

Having said all that, I was placed in this situation in permieland by a project manager who didn't like me (it was a bit of farce at times pointing out the inconsistencies in the situation) but I turned it around jumping through their hoops THEN handed in my notice (that felt good oh yeah!)

So whatever happens, if you know you can do the job, don't sweat it.

Comment

Originally posted by stit View Post
            I am a software developer presently in probation with one of the UK based software services firm. My family and home is in London but my work location is Manchester. I have been thinking to start contracting around London since last few months.
            My present situation is that I am seeing an issue with my manager and she seems to be having very high expectations from me. I am sure she will not be giving a good feedback. My probation discussion is due for next week.

I am preparing the for the worst case where my probation may not extend and I may be terminated. In such a scenario, what can I give as a reason for employment ending? My company has a policy that it discloses only the dates of employment. However, it has six months probation and if my probation ends, then it will end before 6 months. My colleagues know about my contributions and appreciate it. They have also offered me references in case I need it.

I need help in providing the suitable reason for leaving.

Can I give the below as reason for employment ending ? :
            I wanted to start contracting and Manchester was far from my home and family in London and wanted to get back to and work in London. So I resigned.

With the above reason, I will be restricting myself to contracting which I actually wanted to start soon. But, I will also be restricting to London based opportunities. I prefer to work around London but if situation arises, I do not mind working in some other location for some time on a short term contract and then move back to London later.

Please help.

Thanks in advance ,
            Stit
            I wouldn't even think about contracting until you can manage the above section bolded - in my opinion, this only gets worse when you're on a day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
              I wouldn't even think about contracting until you can manage the above section bolded - in my opinion, this only gets worse when you're on a day rate.
              I disagree. When contracting there is less paperwork and politics to worry about. Either you are renewed or you or not.

I really hate being a permie.

BTW most firms just give a reference of dates of employment. So don't worry about feedback.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I disagree. When contracting there is less paperwork and politics to worry about. Either you are renewed or you or not.

I really hate being a permie.

BTW most firms just give a reference of dates of employment. So don't worry about feedback.

Good luck!
                Not passing probation in a permanent role isn't the same as securing a contract renewal - in a contract, if you're not performing, you're out of the door at that point; rather than being out when your probation review is due.

I say contracting might not be for the OP if he's not meeting high expectations - to perform and make a viable business out of contracting you're supposed to be at the top of your field; I think it's a bit wishful to think you can not perform as an employee but automatically make it as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
                  Contracting is not for you by the sounds of it.
                  +1 to that. If this is upsetting you wait until you get walked off site with no reason!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
                    Not passing probation in a permanent role isn't the same as securing a contract renewal - in a contract, if you're not performing, you're out of the door at that point; rather than being out when your probation review is due.

I say contracting might not be for the OP if he's not meeting high expectations - to perform and make a viable business out of contracting you're supposed to be at the top of your field; I think it's a bit wishful to think you can not perform as an employee but automatically make it as a contractor.
                    +1 If you can't even pass your permie probation period I would think very carefully about entering the shark infested waters that is contracting, where there is no probation period, if you're not up to scratch you'll be out of the door fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X