• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter meetings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiter meetings

Are they really necessary? Do you guys have many recruiters asking you to see you face to face so they can discuss potential opportunities with you?
    Are they wasting my time?

Especially, when they don't have a contract for me - they want to get to know me to have good relationship... i just dont know what to believe.
    Last edited by maxedvolume; 11 August 2014, 18:14.

Originally posted by maxedvolume View Post
    Are they really necessary?
    Possibly - depends on you, and it depends on the agency.

Do you guys have many recruiters asking you to see you face to face so they can discuss potential opportunities with you?
    No.

Possibly - depends on you, and it depends on the agency.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Total waste of time.

Comment

The only reason they do it is to offer a value add to the client that they only refer 'vetted' candidates and this is part of the vetting. I always refuse unless they are on the way to an interview.

Comment

Done 1 recruiter meeting in the past 5 years. It was required by their end client SLA and got me the contract....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You are gonna have get the measure of agents pretty sharpish or you are going to have a miserable time contracting lol
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Never hurts to take someone up on the offer of one - helps you develop a good rapport that hopefully means they'll fight your corner a little bit more if this exact job doesn't go your way.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I had it happen to me for the first time recently and it was actually a fairly good experience. I had some contact with this particular larger agency a few years earlier with one of their perm recruiters so knew they were bona fide.

I was referred to one of their contract agents by an ex-colleague who had just been placed by them. I had been on the bench for a while and also flirted with going back to perm so didn't think there was much to lose. After having a phone chat with the agent, she suggested she would bring along someone from their perm practice too.

We met the next day and spoke for over an hour. I got quite a lot of useful insight into the market and specifically the type of companies recruiting for my main skill set which is relatively niche - it turns out we had a lot of mutual connections too.

I also received some feedback on my CV and also my day rate ('you may have been underselling yourself a bit.') They didn't have any immediate contract opportunities but did have a potential perm opportunity which wasn't quite right.

As I said, I was on the bench so was nothing to lose. If you have lots of opportunities in the pipeline then may not be so useful but personally I think it's worthwhile to cultivate relationships with good agents and recruiters.

Comment

I've had many a meeting with agent/potential agent in the past, free meal duly got. But that was in the day when we didn't have to pretend we are real businesses.....

Had one recently offering to meet up at Leeds German Market, for a pint o' Helles and a kasewurst, he never turned up, had to get my own sausage....

Comment

Are they really necessary?
                    No.

Do you guys have many recruiters asking you to see you face to face so they can discuss potential opportunities with you?
                    No - though I do tend to met recruiters at other events.

Maybe.

There is a small minority of recruiters who are nice and helpful enough even though they can't sell you something.

Whether to go and met them depends on where you live, the time you have and where you are meeting them.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X