• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potential boom & negotiations.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kal View Post
    So as promised an update... offered a 6 month extension with a wait for it... 2% increase , he offered that straight off the bat so I thought asking for 20% in response would be a step too far. Asked for 10% to extend, his reply (after giving me a sob story about how as a permie he earns a lot less and only got 2% himself this year) was that that would 'set a new bar for contractors at clientco'. Fair enough I said, thanked him and declined the offer. Have been here almost 2 yrs so a good long run , make some room on the bench at the end of Sept!
    I had a similar conversation with a client the other year, except it went somewhat differently. Approaching the two year mark and something went belly up on a different part of the project meaning there would be more work for me (taking me beyond the two year mark) so I told them that as my business costs would rise in the near future I would need more to carry on and pick up the pieces. I'd just read an article on negotiation and so asked for a random number extra on the day rate that was higher than needed (i.e. something like 13%). The thought behind a random number (apparently) is that it makes the other party think you have worked things out carefully and not just picked a number out the air.

They went for it without negotiaion and I accepted and stopped claiming any T&S to that site. Which is why I ended up on a day rate that ends in 35p.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

Good for you kal. 2% seems a bit pointless after all.

I just got 10% and that wasnt a huge amount when you looked at it. But, good to see someone got the guts to can it.

I was up for canning it (crap place to work, average rate but close to home) because last time they offered 2 months so I was expecting one this time. But they came up with 4 and agreed to 10% so I bottled it lol.

Good luck with finding something else.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Good for you kal. 2% seems a bit pointless after all.

I just got 10% and that wasnt a huge amount when you looked at it. But, good to see someone got the guts to can it.

I was up for canning it (crap place to work, average rate but close to home) because last time they offered 2 months so I was expecting one this time. But they came up with 4 and agreed to 10% so I bottled it lol.

Good luck with finding something else.
        That's not bottling it PC, a 10% increase for a close to home gig is worth accepting. I will hit the 24 month rule if I extend and a 2% increase = a rate cut if I can't offset travel costs. I'm sure something closer to home will turn up, won't miss the 5 hr commute!

Comment

Boomed!

So dev mgr calls me in again yesterday and offers me the 10% increase I was after to extend, another 6 months at quite a laid back gig with 1 day WFH can't be bad. Lesson is stick to your guns when negotiating, they can smell bullsh!t/fear

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
            I had a similar conversation with a client the other year, except it went somewhat differently. Approaching the two year mark and something went belly up on a different part of the project meaning there would be more work for me (taking me beyond the two year mark) so I told them that as my business costs would rise in the near future I would need more to carry on and pick up the pieces. I'd just read an article on negotiation and so asked for a random number extra on the day rate that was higher than needed (i.e. something like 13%). The thought behind a random number (apparently) is that it makes the other party think you have worked things out carefully and not just picked a number out the air.

They went for it without negotiaion and I accepted and stopped claiming any T&S to that site. Which is why I ended up on a day rate that ends in 35p.
            Maths time!

Round pound figures that, with 13% added, end up with .35 decimal:

Which one was it?
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              Maths time!

Round pound figures that, with 13% added, end up with .35 decimal:

Which one was it?
              Lets just say it's not the first or the last.
              "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
              "See?"

Comment

Working...
              X