Posts 21 to 30 of 41
    kal

Banned

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveitcont View Post
    I looked at jobserve earlier and with searching just for VMware contracts in London, 109 showed up. Without looking at all of them, a large number match my skillset exactly.

I know that the move will be difficult but it seems very negative on here. I am realistic and not expecting to walk into a role but some encouragement would be nice
    Yes we are a grumpy cautious lot on here , just trying to make you aware of the pitfalls, last thing you want to do is not be able to pay the mortgage. Having said I took a risk and went for it, never doubted it was the right decision. Good luck!

Faqqed Off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Yes we are a grumpy cautious lot on here , just trying to make you aware of the pitfalls, last thing you want to do is not be able to pay the mortgage. we want is yet another whining thread that the streets aren't paved with gold, and your wife left you because you were out of work for months between contracts and had to file for bankruptcy.

Having said I took a risk and went for it, never doubted it was the right decision. Good luck!
    FTFY
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership
    Monday 27th November 1230-1330: IPSE Update on the Autumn Budget for contractors. Register here.

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know that the move will be difficult but it seems very negative on here. I am realistic and not expecting to walk into a role but some encouragement would be nice
    Asking a about breaching contract isn't really going to get you a positive response really is it but....

Go for it! Woohoo yeah baby. You da man.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MojoDog View Post
    If you need encouragement from an internet forum are you sure it's the right time for you to move?
    Encouragement is the wrong word, I asked a question and I got a lot of negativity about how difficulty it is, I don't seem ready, are you sure it's for you etc etc.

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked at jobserve earlier and with searching just for VMware contracts in London, 109 showed up. Without looking at all of them, a large number match my skillset exactly.
    And how many ask for finance experience, SC, fishing adverts duplicate agencies for same gig. 109 does not sound right at all.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Asking a about breaching contract isn't really going to get you a positive response really is it but....

Go for it! Woohoo yeah baby. You da man.
    Sarcasm aside, I suppose I don't see my permanent contract in the same way as one that I will get through my ltd company. If my current employer wanted me gone, I'd be on garden leave tomorrow, no messing. So 'breaching a contract' is technically correct but a little strong in my view. I just want to shave a week or 2 off my notice period.
    Last edited by Daveitcont; 24th July 2014 at 12:55.

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stek View Post
    Many contracts are nailed on Friday, start on Monday.
    However, the lead time to the Friday can be weeks in my experience.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Faqqed Off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So 'breaching a contract' is technically correct but a little strong in my view. I just want to shave a week or 2 off my notice period.
    Is there a clause in the contract which details the amount of notice you have to give to terminate it?

Assuming "yes", are you planning to adhere to that clause, or are you planning to breach it?

Whether you see your breach as strong or not is a moot point - as I said earlier, if there is a chance that you might need something from the party that you are intending to legally wrong, then I would suggest you think carefully about that decision.
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership
    Monday 27th November 1230-1330: IPSE Update on the Autumn Budget for contractors. Register here.

I live on CUK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sarcasm aside, I suppose I don't see my permanent contract in the same way as one that I will get through my ltd company. If my current employer wanted me gone, I'd be on garden leave tomorrow, no messing. So 'breaching a contract' is technically correct but a little strong in my view. I just want to shave a week or 2 off my notice period.
    One issue you will have with walking out is that some clients do really require references from your ex-employer just to check you aren't a crook/criminal.

As no ex-employer has to legally provide a reference it's in your interest not to p*ss them off.

Agents looking for "references" tend to ask for them before you have the role, while screening companies require you to complete the form yourself.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Encouragement is the wrong word, I asked a question and I got a lot of negativity about how difficulty it is, I don't seem ready, are you sure it's for you etc etc.
    They are just playing devils advocate for you.

have you put your CV out there?
    are many agencies calling you back? ie, are you in demand?
    if they are, is it generic chat (fishing), or are they talking specific projects that could put you forward for?

dont pin your hopes on just one contract. you want to be offered a number of gigs, and have a fallback option.
    is your market sector buoyant?
    do you know anyone with your skillset already working freelance? have you spoken to them?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast