Sir James Dyson: Britain should walk away from Brexit negotiations over 'outrageous'
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 35
    AtW

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sir James Dyson: Britain should walk away from Brexit negotiations over 'outrageous'

Sir James Dyson has said that Britain should walk away from the European Union without paying anything towards the Brexit divorce bill.

The billionaire inventor described Brussels' demands for a €60billion divorce bill are "outrageous" as he said that the UK should leave the EU without a deal.

It came as Michael Gove, the Environment Secretary, and Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, suggested in a secret memo to the Prime Minister that Philip Hammond is letting the EU hold the UK "over a barrel".

They accused the Chancellor of failing to show "sufficient energy" and suggested that he is blocking preparations for the UK to leave the EU without a deal.

Sir James said that if the UK walks away from talks "they will come to us" because the UK is such an important market.

Sir James Dyson: Britain should walk away from Brexit negotiations over 'outrageous' divorce bill*demands

More fingers than teeth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James Dyson, having spent ten minutes speaking about the post-Brexit manufacturing boom in Britain:

Marr: So where will you be manufacturing the Dyson car?

Dyson: Probably somewhere in the Middle East.
    James Dyson, who fired at least 590 British workers when he moved a factory abroad in 2002 & is worth almost £8 billion, thinks Brexit will let his company fire people more easily & pay less tax.
    That is what you voted for, so a man who invented a slightly better vacuum cleaner can sack workers easier, move his production abroad and pay less tax
    Pants are no good unless they stick to the wall after you've taken them off.

AtW

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So it's official now (because I say so) - Brexit sucks...

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James Dyson, having spent ten minutes speaking about the post-Brexit manufacturing boom in Britain:

Marr: So where will you be manufacturing the Dyson car?

Dyson: Probably somewhere in the Middle East.
    Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    That is what you voted for, so a man who invented a slightly better vacuum cleaner can sack workers easier, move his production abroad and pay less tax
    Sadly completely spot on.

Watching the interview Dyson as ever bangs on about a dearth of engineers in the UK but what he really means is that he can't get engineers at bargain basement prices. What is more, he wants to be able to "flex" his workforce which as an employer I'm sure would be wonderful for him but not so much for the poor sod who has just incurred £30-50k debt getting an engineering degree who can then be dropped on a whim.

Dyson has the opportunity to make a big difference to people in the South West if manufacturing for Dyson were to move back to the area.
    Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 12th November 2017 at 18:17.

AtW

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Dyson has the opportunity to make a big difference to people in the South West if manufacturing for Dyson were to move back to the area.
    How would he export it cost efficiently once Britain crashes out of EU?

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Sadly completely spot on.

Watching the interview Dyson as ever bangs on about a dearth of engineers in the UK but what he really means is that he can't get engineers at bargain basement prices. What is more, he wants to be able to "flex" his workforce which as an employer I'm sure would be wonderful for him but not so much for the poor sod who has just incurred £30-50k debt getting an engineering degree who can then be dropped on a whim.

He is also in trouble in the USA because he has been faking the suction power of his vacuum cleaners in TV adverts.
    Brexitentropy...

TripleIronDad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    So it's official now (because I say so) - Brexit sucks...
    As well as your squirrels?
    I keep pushing forwards but they keep pushing me backwards. So I have new rules. 1. Don't feed the trolls you know they have no souls. 2. Don't respond to them they'll only post back back again. 3. Don't be their friend they'll only knife you in the back. I have new rules I count them.

I live on CUK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's why I have a Henry rather than a Dyson.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

More fingers than teeth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's why I have a Henry rather than a Dyson.
    Yep. I was in a white goods store the other day and they had a number of people spread around demonstrating the Dyson. Upon asking the price and hearing the answer, I walked off...€500
    Pants are no good unless they stick to the wall after you've taken them off.

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder which EU specific legislation he objects to, rather than pre-existing British law?

Isn't the plan that we will simply photocopy EU law into UK law when we exit, so no changes there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast