Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 68

More fingers than teeth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    yes strangely we knew about that, so then its unaffected by Brexit innit! Yet you & Ass seem to think the issue is to do with Brexit.

What has happened is in the past few years more people have come to pick fruit & depressed the wages. Now the farmers are squealing.
    Do you have figures to show that wages were depressed?
    Pants are no good unless they stick to the wall after you've taken them off.

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Especially nurses. Why can't we train more?
    How will coming out of Europe change this current problem? Most imported nurses are not from EU countries, they're from much farther afield. Yes, we need to train more nurses in the UK, but leaving the EU isn't the solution.
    I may not know Karate, but I know crazy and I'm not afraid to use it

TripleIronDad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    How will coming out of Europe change this current problem? Most imported nurses are not from EU countries, they're from much farther afield. Yes, we need to train more nurses in the UK, but leaving the EU isn't the solution.
    I agree. The UK should have halted non-EU immigration entirely. A big mistake by a useless PM.
    I'm single now, and it's really weird for me to be dating again because, for the last three years, I've just been cheating.

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree. The UK should have halted non-EU immigration entirely. A big mistake by a useless PM.
    Glad you agree then that voting Brexit is not the answer to our current problems. Brexit won't fix anything, but will likely bring negative impacts. I wonder when the other xenophobes that voted out will come to the same understanding and realise they were lied to and have been sold a dud.
    I may not know Karate, but I know crazy and I'm not afraid to use it

More fingers than teeth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    Do you have figures to show that wages were depressed?
    Rather than letting a deluge of right wing think tanks and Mail/Telegraph/Express links pointing to xenophobic articles...

What is the effect of migration on unemployment and wages?

One theory has it that migrants compete with the local population for jobs, driving down wages and pushing up unemployment for British people. But this ignores the fact that migrants also buy goods and services — providing a boost to the economy and creating new jobs. Migrants might also bring useful skills that complement those of the indigenous workforce.

There is little evidence that more migrants push wages down or unemployment up. Economists from the Centre for Economic Performance at the London School of Economics say that when they look at the areas with the largest increase in EU immigration, these have not seen the sharpest falls in employment or wages since 2008.

Jonathan Wadsworth, one of the authors of the CEP report and a former member of the government’s Migration Advisory Committee, says: “There is still no evidence of an overall negative impact of immigration on jobs, [or] wages.”

Do low-skilled UK citizens bear the brunt of EU migration?

A number of studies have found there is a small negative effect of migration on the wages of low-skilled workers — those with whom migrants compete most directly.

Research published last year by Sir Stephen Nickell of the Office for Budget Responsibility suggested there was a small negative effect of migration on the wages of locals in the semi-skilled and unskilled service sector — such as care workers, shop assistants, restaurant and bar workers.

Mr Portes of the NIESR thinks Sir Stephen’s research results are nevertheless small. “The impact of migration on the wages of the UK-born in this sector since 2004 has been about 1 per cent, over a period of eight years,” he says.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...migration/2016

CEP | Publications | Abstract

https://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/how-sma...s#.VzMmzYSDFBc

TripleIronDad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad you agree then that voting Brexit is not the answer to our current problems. Brexit won't fix anything, but will likely bring negative impacts. I wonder when the other xenophobes that voted out will come to the same understanding and realise they were lied to and have been sold a dud.
    I always knew an EU divorce would be messy - as far as I could see it was the only reason to remain.

I don't like dictatorships - especially Teutonic ones.

Most people voted against the establishment rather than against the EU. Some believe our issues are caused by immigrants rather than the establishment and super-rich. Though our little island is way too over-populated.

Whatever I think article 50 has been triggered and it will go ahead. Inequality will increase far quicker than if Brexit had not happened.

Hopefully soon the great unwashed will understand who the TRUE enemy is.
    I'm single now, and it's really weird for me to be dating again because, for the last three years, I've just been cheating.

AtW

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always knew an EU divorce would be messy
    How did you know?

TripleIronDad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    How did you know?

I read it in a puddle of squirrel wee.

More fingers than teeth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AtW

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read it in a puddle of squirrel wee.
    That's the only thing you had left after paying off ex-wife, her and your own legal fees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast