• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit - where is my sack cloth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit - where is my sack cloth?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...says-thinktank

Sasguru to rebut in 3.....2......1

Comment

Although removing tariffs could result in job losses for the 8% of British workers in protected sectors, such as farming, the IEA said new roles could be created to offset the losses.
      Sounds like a great idea, decimate local food production, just so we can get slightly cheaper oranges from South Africa....

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
        Seems I have to since you lot are so gullible.
        The IEA is a neo-liberal mouthpiece of the right wing of the Tory party.
        Brexit will indeed benefit some - rich Tories.
        But hey as I've said before, for various reasons, I want a hard Brexit too.
        Mainly for the entertainment.
        I don't have "skin in the game" any more.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Got your surgery's number?

You really have tunnel vision.
          The Institute for Government said leaving with no deal was a “recipe for maximum disruption” should the UK have to trade with the EU under WTO rules, because it would include higher tariffs and more document checks and inspections at borders.

Leaving the EU would disrupt the flow of goods required by manufacturers in the UK, harming sectors such as car production, and create friction in trade across borders, its report, published on Thursday, concluded.
          The rest is free market idealogical claptrap. You can say it. You can believe in it. But it is essentially contentious, right wing religion. It could be right, I accept, like it could be right that the chamber doesn't have a bullet but - if you don't mind - I'd rather you didn't pull the trigger whilst the gun is pointing at my head.

If Brexit was "Lets have a massive zero tariff experiment (bear in mind the others won't reciprocate - they're not so naive) and see if it shakes up the UK" then I could respect that as at least saying something instead the breezy, vacuous nonsense we've had for the last couple of years.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

I find it interesting all these suggestions that leaving the EU everything gets cheaper. If this were the case why is everything so expensive in Switzerland ?

Switzerland is not in the Customs Union and can set tariffs to whatever it wants. The same applies to Norway and Iceland. It isn't like only Swiss farming produce is expensive, virtually everything is so expensive, and that was well before the Swiss Franc became over valued. When I also visit other countries like Japan, it's not cheap there either, so where are all these cheap products they keep going on about.

The Supermarkets have already stated prices will go up after Brexit.

Anyone had to pay for medical treatment in the US?
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

TBH I'm a bit tired of the Brexit chat - let's just walk away from the negs - hard Brexit now and let the chips fall where they will.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I find it interesting all these suggestions that leaving the EU everything gets cheaper. If this were the case why is everything so expensive in Switzerland ?

Switzerland is not in the Customs Union and can set tariffs to whatever it wants. The same applies to Norway and Iceland. It isn't like only Swiss farming produce is expensive, virtually everything is so expensive, and that was well before the Swiss Franc became over valued. When I also visit other countries like Japan, it's not cheap there either, so where are all these cheap products they keep going on about.

The Supermarkets have already stated prices will go up after Brexit.

Anyone had to pay for medical treatment in the US?
                But driving hard toward cheap prices just squeezes the supply chain and pushes down wages.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  If this were the case why is everything so expensive in Switzerland ?
                  Because whenever there is a war they stay neutral and make money out of everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                    It's in the Graun, so there must be a catch...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X