• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit expat retirees 'may cost NHS millions'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    You still here?

thought you would have been banned you know for starting a thread to insult another poster...

or maybe some animals are more equal than others on here....

1. No answer to my question then.

2. What thread to insult another poster?

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
      3 years you say? Plus 2 years to brexit. Plus delays.

Easily get a permanent residency visa by then. 5 years needed.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20161116/how...ency-in-france
      In the meantime i tried to get PR in Uk but apparently theres around a million of applications now and it's estimated it will take 11 years to process (100k applications a year). They have my id in an envelope :S

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        In the meantime i tried to get PR in Uk but apparently theres around a million of applications now and it's estimated it will take 11 years to process (100k applications a year). They have my id in an envelope :S
        Why don't you switch to the "exceptional talent" visa instead?
        https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-exceptional-talent/overview

Alternatively try the ILR visa.
        ILR Requirement - UK Visa Bureau

Or, you could enroll at a university which leads to a PR - 3 years self funded study would probably get you in:
        https://www.internationalstudents.ca...nent-residency

You may have to invest some of your contractor gains in order to build your brand up in the UK.

Comment

Why don't you switch to the "exceptional talent" visa instead?
          https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-exceptional-talent/overview

Alternatively try the ILR visa.
          ILR Requirement - UK Visa Bureau

Or, you could enroll at a university which leads to a PR - 3 years self funded study would probably get you in:
          https://www.internationalstudents.ca...nent-residency

You may have to invest some of your contractor gains in order to build your brand up in the UK.
          uhm your point being? I have houses and live here 6 years. they have all my tax data , it should be automatic, but instead you have to fill 81 pages form and then they have to process it. How thick is that
          Last edited by diseasex; 31 May 2017, 08:32.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            My understanding is if an expat in Spain uses their medical services then the Spanish hospital claims the cost back from the UK.

I'm not sure of other countries arrangements but seems like we still pay for expats now.
            Yes, exactlt. That's waht the E101 is for.

More scremongering.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
              Yes, exactlt. That's waht the E101 is for.

More scremongering.
              It will cost more to treat them in the UK, as the article says.

Comment

3 years you say? Plus 2 years to brexit. Plus delays.

Easily get a permanent residency visa by then. 5 years needed.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20161116/how...ency-in-france
                Doesn't mention healthcare.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  My understanding is if an expat in Spain uses their medical services then the Spanish hospital claims the cost back from the UK.

I'm not sure of other countries arrangements but seems like we still pay for expats now.
                  That is correct, however the cost of healthcare in Spain is a lot cheaper than the UK, so the same people in Europe are charging £500m a year back to the NHS, where as treating them in the UK will cost £1bn
                  Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

The E101 arrangement was taken into account when calculating the additional costs for the NHS:

NHS faces extra 500 million bill from returning expats, taking into account the reciprocal agreement
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                      uhm your point being? I have houses and live here 6 years. they have all my tax data , it should be automatic
                      6 years! Your right to remain is automatic, why are you moaning? And why are you greedily sending your ID card into a very long queue- making the problem worse for others.

My point good sir, is that I think the lady doth protest too much. Are you perhaps using this situation as a vehicle to promote your successful migration story? Are you trying to draw a distinction between you and your little Polish builder brothers on the street who did not make it big like you did? On a lighter note - just let them continue renting your bedsits out- you don't have to kick them out at brexit. Maybe put the rent up in case they do a runner. Or cash in hand in advance.

Comment

Working...
                      X