• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RTI Return - Interim penalty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTI Return - Interim penalty

Just received a letter today, 16th Jun from HMRC (Date of Issue 02nd Jun!) regarding an RTI Return - Interim penalty letter.

Basically its saying that I need to file an FPS or EPS for the end of tax year 2013/14. Also states that may have already been charged a penalty and to avoid any further penalty need to submit an EYU (Earlier Year Update).

The point is I have already done this. I submitted an EPS on 06/Apr/2014 (as I paid 0 salary that month) & then indicated it was the Final Year Submission and answered the end of year questions. I use HMRC's PAYE filing software and submission was successful (I have the CorrelationID's & IRmarks that are provided upon successful submission).

I tried phoning HMRC today but disgracefully the automated message states they are very busy and doesn't allow your call through

Any suggestions as to what I should do. Submit an EYU even though I should not need to do this as I have as indicated submitted the final year submission or ignore the letter ?

Originally posted by AvsFan View Post
    Just received a letter today, 16th Jun from HMRC (Date of Issue 02nd Jun!) regarding an RTI Return - Interim penalty letter.

Basically its saying that I need to file an FPS or EPS for the end of tax year 2013/14. Also states that may have already been charged a penalty and to avoid any further penalty need to submit an EYU (Earlier Year Update).

The point is I have already done this. I submitted an EPS on 06/Apr/2014 (as I paid 0 salary that month) & then indicated it was the Final Year Submission and answered the end of year questions. I use HMRC's PAYE filing software and submission was successful (I have the CorrelationID's & IRmarks that are provided upon successful submission).

I tried phoning HMRC today but disgracefully the automated message states they are very busy and doesn't allow your call through

Any suggestions as to what I should do. Submit an EYU even though I should not need to do this as I have as indicated submitted the final year submission or ignore the letter ?
    Unfortunately HMRC have a problem with this and have been sending out automatic penalty letters when there are no grounds for them.

I have had it happen to quite a few of my clients recently and know other accountant firms who are dealing with this too.

Very easy to sort as you can just ring HMRC or get your accountant to do this and the penalty will be corrected and you will not owe anything.

Best time to call HMRC is at either just after 8am or after say 5pm as it sees you can always get through at these times

I do wander if the computer at HMRC has spat the dummy out

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah@RHJAccountants View Post
      Unfortunately HMRC have a problem with this and have been sending out automatic penalty letters when there are no grounds for them.

I have had it happen to quite a few of my clients recently and know other accountant firms who are dealing with this too.

Very easy to sort as you can just ring HMRC or get your accountant to do this and the penalty will be corrected and you will not owe anything.

Best time to call HMRC is at either just after 8am or after say 5pm as it sees you can always get through at these times

I do wander if the computer at HMRC has spat the dummy out
      +1 to this.

I think HMRC are having some serious issues with their systems at the moment. One chap at HMRC told me they could see an EPS submitted for M12 on their system but the system couldn't read it as it's broke so we sent you a penalty anyway! You couldn't make this stuff up!

Martin
      Contratax Ltd

Comment

Same here, I've got a lovely stack of penalty notices too.

HMRC introduce a system and then cannot cope with it so cause everyone else masses amounts of extra work, who saw that coming
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

We have received a lot of these also; each of them is for clients where the final RTI submission was an EPS rather than an FPS. Somebody has spoken with HMRC yesterday and they said that the EPS’s go to a different system then normal FPS submissions; this system is then not recognising the fact that an EPS has been filed and they are then subsequently issuing the penalty letter in error.

Craig

Comment

Ditto - I had one of these for a period where no salary payments were made Sent it to SJD to deal with.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

It seems then that there is an error at HMRC which I kind of guessed there might be as I had all the submission receipts from the software and double checked last night that I had not missed anything (which I hadn't), but just wanted clarification.

Unfortunately, I just can't seem to get through to HMRC to sort this out. I tried phoning last night around 7pm and the annoying automated message just goes through a series of questions asking me what it's about and when I stated RTI penalty it says my call cannot be taken as they are very busy and hangs up.
              I even tried it again but this time stating FPS query rather than RTI penalty and the same thing happened.

I guess I'm just going to have to keep trying to contact them over the coming days and weeks!.
              Thanks HMRC..................for nothing

Comment

Working...
              X