• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever not taken your full dividend allowance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to all who replied, most of any divi's usually go into ISA's or more likely these days in paying off the mortgage anyway it's not like I'm going to spend them on dancing girls, drugs and champagne........the wife for some reason frowned at that idea.

Comment

I've fallen a little short before, but generally take most of it. I take fixed quarterly dividends of £7500, so I'll be declaring a final dividend of about £300 or thereabouts at the end of March.

I may have missed out in earlier years were my dividends were a bit, haphazard and irregular. I was taking about the bare minimum we needed to live in order to build up a healthy retained profit (war chest) for the first few years. Taking regular, fixed amounts makes personal budgeting a lot easier though.

Comment

No, I've never done this.

Do you live the life of a monk or something? I really struggle to not go so far over the threshold that I have to make payments on account the following year.

And all that with my being quite creative with expenses

I must be a feckless spendthrift!

Comment

£3100 per month net take home is hardly "living the life of a monk" is it?
          Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 28 February 2014, 00:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
            Thanks to all who replied, most of any divi's usually go into ISA's or more likely these days in paying off the mortgage anyway it's not like I'm going to spend them on dancing girls, drugs and champagne........the wife for some reason frowned at that idea.
            Yeah because she was planning on doing the same!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              £3100 per month net take home is hardly living the life of a month is it?
              Eh?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Eh?
                Aimed at Gittins Girl who was seeming to imply she struggles even on dividends up to the basic threshold which, with a tax efficient salary is approx £3100 a month.

*just saw the typo in my post, which should have said "monk"

Comment

I haven't taken my full divi allowance last year.
                  I was putting some aside in the company to pay for training and didn't know how much i needed exactly. Plus, I don't need to take my full allowance to pay for my life. Since I can issue a divi anytime and you don't get any interest on savings anywhere, I decided to leave it in the company.
                  At some point I would like to expand and employ a junior to learn the ropes and then go off and earn me some wedge...
                  Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    Aimed at Gittins Girl who was seeming to imply she struggles even on dividends up to the basic threshold which, with a tax efficient salary is approx £3100 a month.

*just saw the typo in my post, which should have said "monk"
                    Yes, *I'd struggle on that.

Got my country pile to maintain, fuel in the Range Rover, yacht mooring fees, holidays... The list goes on.

I enjoy my creature comforts. Don't particularly want to cycle everywhere and live on a bowl of rice a day.

Comment

Working...
                    X