• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving SJD Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abysmal experience

I have also had a dreadful experience with them. Pure incompetence - so I left after 9 months.

Will detail more here if anyone is interested - and will report back if they actually do anything about it.

Comment

Just adding my own experiences

Just to add my own bad experiences of SJD Accountancy;
      After being a pretty loyal client to them for a number of years (to the extent that i even steered a few contractor newbies their way) the service standards took a nose dive about a year and a half ago ago(after their fees correspondingly increased of course). Since then Ive had 3 accountants in under 12 months, VAT submissions being done late(Resulting in warnings from HMRC), annual company tax return filed almost at the last minute, and since leaving SJD last month and my new accountants doing the due diligence its emerged that they've not been filing the RTI submissions correctly as well as being late yet again with my annual filing and tax return for which ive already paid them.
      The complaints proceedure is a joke as the "supervisor" i complained to didnt respond once he found out i was leaving SJD and as has already been noted in other posts they arent regulated by any professional body so you're instructed to complain directly to the board of directors.

Avoid like the plague, there are better more professional firms out there who wont charge you more while increasing the amount of stress and C**p you have to deal with as a contractor.

Comment

Being regulated by an accounting body is not a legal requirement sadly but I would say that it's a comfort for the client. SJD seem to have had a large turnover in staff since they became part of the big SJD/Nixon Williams/Clearsky/Parasol group.

Simon Curry, who's commented on here has now left as well, according to his LinkedIn profile.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I had a variation on the RTI cock up. After I left they kept on submitting my salary via RTI meaning HMRC thought I wad earning double what I do with a parallel impact on my tax bill and putting me on notice of investigation for an understated SAR

Sorted now thanks to Dynamo but zero response from SJD when I pointed out their error and it's impact

They were good but now they're a joke. Avoid
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Sadly I had a similar experience with them over the last 12 months or so with them. The service became woeful although primarily down to the significant staff turnover and them closing down the local office.

I thought it was a real shame as they'd been great for 8 or so years before that.

On the plus side they did at least hand over everything as requested by the accountants I eventually moved to.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              I had a variation on the RTI cock up. After I left they kept on submitting my salary via RTI meaning HMRC thought I wad earning double what I do with a parallel impact on my tax bill and putting me on notice of investigation for an understated SAR

Sorted now thanks to Dynamo but zero response from SJD when I pointed out their error and it's impact

They were good but now they're a joke. Avoid
              Nice bit of karma given your responses back in 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                Being regulated by an accounting body is not a legal requirement sadly but I would say that it's a comfort for the client. SJD seem to have had a large turnover in staff since they became part of the big SJD/Nixon Williams/Clearsky/Parasol group.

Simon Curry, who's commented on here has now left as well, according to his LinkedIn profile.
                I heard about the staff churn since being taken over but they seemed to have somewhat similar issues before. All the supervisors had left in my time with them and I don't remember having the same contact for much over a year at best. We've had threads about having multiple accountants going back years from what I can remember.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                  Nice bit of karma given your responses back in 2014
                  In 2014 they were excellent, accurate and timely. It all went wrong when they closed the Cheltenham office last year and I went through three accountants in four months (the last one being somewhere in London for my convenience) during which time they cocked up my year end books and, as I said, got me into pointlessly unnecessary hot water with HMRC when I wasn't even using them.

So your point is, precisely?
                  Last edited by administrator; 8 September 2017, 11:00. Reason: Say no to winking.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    In 2014 they were excellent, accurate and timely. It all went wrong when they closed the Cheltenham office last year and I went through three accountants in four months (the last one being somewhere in London for my convenience) during which time they cocked up my year end books and, as I said, got me into pointlessly unnecessary hot water with HMRC when I wasn't even using them.

So your point is, precisely?
                    Its almost like something major happened in 2014. Almost 3 years to the day....
                    Last edited by administrator; 8 September 2017, 11:01. Reason: Quoted winker
                    P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
                      Its almost like something major happened in 2014. Almost 3 years to the day....
                      It's almost as if someone overpaid for the business and is doing everything possible to recover the purchase price....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X