+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 214
  1. #11

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    17,728
    Thanks (Given)
    443
    Thanks (Received)
    926
    Likes (Given)
    3936
    Likes (Received)
    2584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    The 24-month rule has nothing to do with your company. And it has nothing to do with contracting or permanent employment.

    It has EVERYTHING to do with location.

    If you have been there 24 months and spent over 40% of your time there (and 1 day a week WFH still makes it over 40%), then you will not be able to claim once you know that your contract will take you over 24 months.
    ..
    What bit of 'once you know' did you not understand??

  2. #12

    Banned

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    15,784
    Thanks (Given)
    417
    Thanks (Received)
    145
    Likes (Given)
    248
    Likes (Received)
    1171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    What bit of 'once you know' did you not understand??
    A simple epistemological definition of 'know' is to hold a certain true belief. 'Expect' is probably better in this instance because how can one be certain?

  3. #13

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    17,728
    Thanks (Given)
    443
    Thanks (Received)
    926
    Likes (Given)
    3936
    Likes (Received)
    2584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    A simple epistemological definition of 'know' is to hold a certain true belief. 'Expect' is probably better in this instance because how can one be certain?
    I'll give you that...

  4. #14

    Fingers like lightning

    kevpuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows
    Posts
    768
    Thanks (Given)
    25
    Thanks (Received)
    26
    Likes (Given)
    384
    Likes (Received)
    101

    Default

    There's a 24 month rule?

    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

  5. #15

    Banned

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    15,784
    Thanks (Given)
    417
    Thanks (Received)
    145
    Likes (Given)
    248
    Likes (Received)
    1171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevpuk View Post
    There's a 24 month rule?

    A contact of mine has been claiming travel for same gig for four years because he 'wants to'.

  6. #16

    Contractor Among Contractors

    DirtyDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,814
    Thanks (Given)
    18
    Thanks (Received)
    86
    Likes (Given)
    595
    Likes (Received)
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    A contact of mine has been claiming travel for same gig for four years because he 'wants to'.
    Well, that's one attitude to risk
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

  7. #17

    Godlike

    BoredBloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    whereever the work is
    Posts
    6,985
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    143

    Default

    I agree with the 24 month rule on one respct, in that there should be a cut off to stop people claiming for the same client/location for years on end. However, the problem I now face, after almost 2 years down at Canary Wharf, I have to exclude the biggest jobs market out of my job search - without the ability to offset my expenses then its not worth my while working in London. It hardly encourages you to get off your arse and find work when you get no tax relief on the expense of doing the job, simply because you happen to be in London again!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

    I preferred version 1!

  8. #18

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,180
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    191
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoredBloke View Post
    I agree with the 24 month rule on one respct, in that there should be a cut off to stop people claiming for the same client/location for years on end. However, the problem I now face, after almost 2 years down at Canary Wharf, I have to exclude the biggest jobs market out of my job search - without the ability to offset my expenses then its not worth my while working in London. It hardly encourages you to get off your arse and find work when you get no tax relief on the expense of doing the job, simply because you happen to be in London again!
    What's he problem? Put your rate up to compensate. Or get a job in Aberdeen for 20 months.
    Blog? What blog...?

  9. #19

    Godlike

    BoredBloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    whereever the work is
    Posts
    6,985
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    143

    Default

    The problem is that I can't put my rate up to compensate as it's already high to pay for my commute and expenses. Plus all the money if have to pay out would batter my tax allowences as it would have to be paid from my money and not company money, meaning I'd have am extortionate tax bill. Aberdeen and other cities are not as easy to get to as London is. Public transport is well setup for getting people between Manchester and London. Manchester and aberdeen not so.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

    I preferred version 1!

  10. #20

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,180
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    191
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoredBloke View Post
    The problem is that I can't put my rate up to compensate as it's already high to pay for my commute and expenses. Plus all the money if have to pay out would batter my tax allowences as it would have to be paid from my money and not company money, meaning I'd have am extortionate tax bill. Aberdeen and other cities are not as easy to get to as London is. Public transport is well setup for getting people between Manchester and London. Manchester and aberdeen not so.
    Gosh. Hadn't thought of that...

    You're wrong, incidentally, but no matter. Plenty of work around Manchester and Leeds though. Of course, the other way to avoid paying too much tax is not to earn any money at all.
    Blog? What blog...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.