• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Low Salary High Divvies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Salary High Divvies

Rumours are that low salary/high divvies are going to be a pointer that HRMC will use for deciding which PSCs to investigate (for IR35).

So what are the panels thoughts on this? Assuming you're comfortable enough that you're outside IR35, then you should try to be as tax efficient as possible and go for the lowest anyway, and deal with the investigation when/if it comes?

Presumably taking a higher salary/lower divvi is just a guess anyway, and as there is no guidance from HMRC on this you could end up making yourself tax inefficient for no reason at all.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    So what are the panels thoughts on this?
    Bring it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      Bring it.
      Hi DD - so you broadly agree with my assessment? I can't see there's any point making myself tax inefficient on the off-chance that it'll make me slightly less likely to be investigated...
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If it is going to become a more prominent factor it will still only be one of many, and presumably there are more important ones like filing documents on time and paying tax on time.

The same advice as usual would stand regardless - if you're outside of IR35 then you can take what salary you want, just make sure you do all you can to keep proof of your status, get your contracts reviewed, get some insurance in place and maybe join the PCG. Then even if they do investigate you should be able to end it pretty quickly.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          Hi DD - so you broadly agree with my assessment? I can't see there's any point making myself tax inefficient on the off-chance that it'll make me slightly less likely to be investigated...
          Yep.

I'm confident in my position, and have PCG+ to help argue the case.

I've never been a higher rate tax payer, and am whacking money into a pension plan, so I also figure that there are bigger and better targets out there than me
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            If it is going to become a more prominent factor it will still only be one of many, and presumably there are more important ones like filing documents on time and paying tax on time.

The same advice as usual would stand regardless - if you're outside of IR35 then you can take what salary you want, just make sure you do all you can to keep proof of your status, get your contracts reviewed, get some insurance in place and maybe join the PCG. Then even if they do investigate you should be able to end it pretty quickly.
            Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            Yep.

I'm confident in my position, and have PCG+ to help argue the case.

I've never been a higher rate tax payer, and am whacking money into a pension plan, so I also figure that there are bigger and better targets out there than me
            Confident in my position too, and also have PCG+

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I don't get it. Low salary high divi is likely to be used by any one person business. This could include plumbers, web designers, accountants, and loads of other sectors where they may have dozens if not hundreds of clients and are a million miles from IR35.

Hardly seems a clear indicator of a high risk contractor to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                I don't get it. Low salary high divi is likely to be used by any one person business. This could include plumbers, web designers, accountants, and loads of other sectors where they may have dozens if not hundreds of clients and are a million miles from IR35.

Hardly seems a clear indicator of a high risk contractor to me.
                HMRC stated in their IR35 enquiry evidence that they are targetting this group, although an additional part of the criteria is low expenses.

Tradesmen usually have high expenses and are much less likely to have a Ltd. company.

The lower the salary and higher the dividend, the greater potential reward there is from an inveatigation. And the numbers are very easy to identify.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  The lower the salary and higher the dividend, the greater potential reward there is from an inveatigation. And the numbers are very easy to identify.
                  Didn't we just do this thread?

It makes sense for them to target the cases where they have to most to gain; in fact as taxpayers we should be demanding that they do. They can't tell from your accounts that you had lots of clients, had a right of substitution etc., but they can tell that you paid an artificially low salary, high dividends and had low expenses. If everybody submitted their contracts to HMRC, then perhaps they could use better criteria, but nobody wants to do that do they?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Didn't we just do this thread?

It makes sense for them to target the cases where they have to most to gain; in fact as taxpayers we should be demanding that they do. They can't tell from your accounts that you had lots of clients, had a right of substitution etc., but they can tell that you paid an artificially low salary, high dividends and had low expenses. If everybody submitted their contracts to HMRC, then perhaps they could use better criteria, but nobody wants to do that do they?
                    but what defines "artificially low"?

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X