• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loyalty points / BIK ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loyalty points / BIK ?

Following on from a thread in general...

If you get loyalty points on company expenses, should these be taxed as a BIK? And if so, does anyone actually declare them?

e.g Avios, or even the Nectar points on your lunchtime sandwich.

Just curious!

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Following on from a thread in general...

If you get loyalty points on company expenses, should these be taxed as a BIK? And if so, does anyone actually declare them?

e.g Avios, or even the Nectar points on your lunchtime sandwich.

Just curious!
    Someone will no doubt come up with references etc. but IIRC there is no BIK on this type of loyalty scheme if they're in the individual's name and there's no cost to the business.

Comment

Do they do Air Miles any more?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Do they do Air Miles any more?
        Avios IIRC, but different airlines have their own schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorsSpouse View Post
          Someone will no doubt come up with references etc. but IIRC there is no BIK on this type of loyalty scheme if they're in the individual's name and there's no cost to the business.
          Ta.

Definitive answer here.

Comment

There was serious consideration by HMRC about taxing them, but it's too complex - how do you value the points, when do you value them, how can they prove whether the points were business or personal etc. etc.

The IRS looked at doing it as well for Americans, particularly around frequent flyer miles, but hit the same problem.

If they can come up with a way to tax you for them in the future, they will make the appropriate changes, though.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X