• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone heard of this happening before and what should I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone heard of this happening before and what should I do?

After a telephone interview on Thursday through a well known Recruitment agency I was made an offer of a 6 month contract with a major multinational company which I accepted. This offer was made by an employee of the recruitment agency acting as a Senior Principal Consultant, it was not conditional, it was an unequivocal offer. He called me between 11 and 11:30am on Thursday 27th June 2013 and asked “Did I want the good news or bad news?” I replied “The bad” and then he went on to say that I’d be starting with the client on Monday and the bad news was that I not able to have a lie in on Monday. This is further confirmed in that he commenced his internal 'on-boarding procedure' and started to take references from previous employers.

As a direct result of this I backed out of a final interview with another International Company and also turned down an offer of contract made later in the day with a third company at a comparable rate. These negotiations were all managed by the Senior Principal Consultant and he made it clear in several phone calls that he had the agreement of the client to make the offer to me but it now appears that he did not have such confirmation. I now understand from a further conversation with him that he made this offer without the necessary documentary confirmation from the client and was not in a position to offer the contract. As a result I am going to suffer a financial loss as a direct result of his failings. Should I seek compensation in this matter at a rate commensurate with the rate of the lost contract until such time as I find an alternative employment?

Nope, chalk it down to experience and move on. As far as I'm concerned until I have a signed contract in my hands I'm still on the market

Comment

I wouldn't have turned down anything until I'm on site at the new client. In actual fact, I'd have tried to wangle some sort of WFH gig with both clients so that I could take on two contracts (successfully done this before).

Comment

Working...
      X