• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boox Accountants - how unprofessional

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received an unsolicited phone call from Boox saying that they knew I was using Nixon Williams and that they could offer the same for less cash.

I have used NW for over 6 years and am very happy with them, however Boox must be desperate to be scratching about to call clients of competitors.

Not sure how they got my details, nor how they knew I was using NW, but I never appreciate intrusive phone calls of this nature but I told Boox to sod off.

I looked at their website and all their staff seem to be part qualified, and use words like "studied", no mention of actually qualifying! Sums them up really.

Boox = BIG FAIL
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I received an unsolicited phone call from Boox saying that they knew I was using Nixon Williams and that they could offer the same for less cash.

I have used NW for over 6 years and am very happy with them, however Boox must be desperate to be scratching about to call clients of competitors.

Not sure how they got my details, nor how they knew I was using NW, but I never appreciate intrusive phone calls of this nature but I told Boox to sod off.

I looked at their website and all their staff seem to be part qualified, and use words like "studied", no mention of actually qualifying! Sums them up really.

Boox = BIG FAIL
    That is pretty poor. If you are feeling vengeful, put in a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act and see what details of yours they have.

Comment

Boox = BIG FAIL
      They are only trying to score some new clients, it's called sales, hardly a reason for you to cry like a baby and badmouth them on a public forum. I found NW to be lacking when I was with them so was glad to switch (although not to Boox).

Comment

Ex-employee probably.

I would contact NW to warn them as they should have non-solicitation clauses in their employment contracts.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Ex-employee probably.

I would contact NW to warn them as they should have non-solicitation clauses in their employment contracts.
          WSES

Very unprofessional, plus NW have been great for me and most others on here who use them.

Comment

They may not be using data stolen by a former employee.

If you're using NW's registered office service then it's pretty easy for them to find your company details from the Companies House register. (e.g. query for all companies registered with post code AB12 34CD). From there they can pull the company officer details (i.e. your personal details, home address etc) and then use a directory enquiry service or just some old fashioned leg work to find your details.

If, however, you're not using their registered office service and/or they called your mobile then I'd be a little more suspicious about a potential DPA infringement. However, don't forget (as far as I'm aware) that DPA only applies to personal data: if they called you in your position as a company officer then no infringement may have taken place. I'm sure there's a few old pros on here who can provide more clarity on this.

FYI: I'm certainly not defending Boox, just pointing out how much data is in the public domain.
            Insightful accountancy for contractors | Find us on Facebook | Follow @inniaccounts

Comment

We get this a lot. Brooksons are particularly aggressive in this approach. However, the way they get the data isn't illegal - I was going to say how they do it, but thought better of it!

However, a happy client tends not to be swayed by a piece of junk mail, and much less an unsolicited phone call. An unhappy client, well, we only have ourselves to blame if they go.
              P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

We are aware that Boox have contacted a few of our clients over the past few weeks - each of the clients that I have spoken to about this felt that their call was intrusive.

There has been no breach of data from Nixon Williams - all of the information that Boox have gathered in order to make the calls all appears to be publicly available. From what I can gather they have been downloading Abbreviated Accounts from Companies House and if they have our name in the Accountants Report, they are then using the internet to find a phone number and then making the call.

I would be interested to know if other contractors, not necessarily with Nixon Williams, have had similar phone calls from Boox.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
                  We are aware that Boox have contacted a few of our clients over the past few weeks - each of the clients that I have spoken to about this felt that their call was intrusive.

There has been no breach of data from Nixon Williams - all of the information that Boox have gathered in order to make the calls all appears to be publicly available. From what I can gather they have been downloading Abbreviated Accounts from Companies House and if they have our name in the Accountants Report, they are then using the internet to find a phone number and then making the call.

I would be interested to know if other contractors, not necessarily with Nixon Williams, have had similar phone calls from Boox.

Craig
                  That's not how they do it Craig - its a lot more sophisticated than that. Nothing you can do to stop it - it's just competition.
                  P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
                    That's not how they do it Craig - its a lot more sophisticated than that. Nothing you can do to stop it - it's just competition.
                    Now you're just teasing us - spit it out man!

I think I'd just treat them the same way I treat all cold callers (hint: I'm not overly polite).
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X