• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NW forcing an IR35 contract review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
    Hi qtech - it is not our policy to force clients to have their contract reviewed, though we do recommend it. If you say, having reviewed the contract yourself, that IR35 does not apply then we will take your word for it.

If you have been advised otherwise then please send me a private message, or email me on [email protected] with details and I will look into this for you immediately.

Thanks
    Craig
    +1

Exactly the stance any reputable accountant should take.

If an accountant ever **tells** you your IR35 status rather than **asking** you for instructions, run a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
      +1

If an accountant ever **tells** you your IR35 status rather than **asking** you for instructions, run a mile.
      Very true but if their client comes in telling the accountants they are exempt then some strong guidance from the accountant would be in order
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
        +1

Maybe, although a few reputable accountants do offer free contract reviews. Personally, I think it's a worthwhile service when combined with an external review from one of the usual suspects (two opinions are often enlightening ).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Very true but if their client comes in telling the accountants they are exempt then some strong guidance from the accountant would be in order
          Accountants advise, clients decide...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Maybe, although a few reputable accountants do offer free contract reviews. Personally, I think it's a worthwhile service when combined with an external review from one of the usual suspects (two opinions are often enlightening ).
            Yes, we do reviews, although as a chargeable service to enable us to do it thoroughly and report properly. However whether the client wants to accept our opinion, is a separate issue. Different services.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
              Hi qtech - it is not our policy to force clients to have their contract reviewed, though we do recommend it. If you say, having reviewed the contract yourself, that IR35 does not apply then we will take your word for it.

If you have been advised otherwise then please send me a private message, or email me on [email protected] with details and I will look into this for you immediately.

Thanks
              Craig
              Thanks Craig. My accountant has clarified the IR35 review is not compulsory.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                As a matter of interest what within your working practises has led you to be convinced that you are outside IR35?

Primarily, I have two income streams IT contracting and professional photography.

Secondly, my IT contract has enough enough clauses added which are designed to negate the appearance of disguised employment.

Both the above give me reasonable grounds to believe I'm outside IR35.

Of course a professional IR35 review would help but is no guarantee that HMRC will arrive at the same conclusion.

Comment

Two income streams is meaningless in the context of IR35 - it is judged on a contract-by-contract basis, so one could be inside and the other not, or any other permutation for that matter.

And contract clauses, whilst the starting point, also need to match up with your actual working practices...the contract on its own is also meaningless if you need to ask for time off, are controlled by client, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by qtech View Post
                    Primarily, I have two income streams IT contracting and professional photography.

Secondly, my IT contract has enough enough clauses added which are designed to negate the appearance of disguised employment.
                    I'm afraid Captainham is right on this one - HMRC will judge the photography and contracting individually. If your contract ticks the right boxes then you just need to focus on your working practices.

Louise
                    Twitter @SidekickGuys
                    LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by qtech View Post

Both the above give me reasonable grounds to believe I'm outside IR35.

Of course a professional IR35 review would help but is no guarantee that HMRC will arrive at the same conclusion.
                      Added clauses which are specifically for the purpose of creating an 'outside IR35' contract will be of almost no use in the event of an investigation - your working practises are what's important. Have you considered the degree of supervision, direction and control in the IT role, whether there is MOO and whether you have a right of substitution and if you have do you know someone who could fill the role in your absence? As others have said - the fact that you have 2 revenue streams is completely irrelevant
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X