• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you work in the UK, you will pay tax in the UK......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government to give HMR&C new powers to combat offshore tax avoidance Government announces new measures to block tax avoidance involving offshore employment intermediaries - HM Treasury
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Thanks for this Lisa... interesting quote from the link.

'In many cases the employee is unaware that their payroll is located offshore and tax is being avoided.'

Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan SJD Accountancy View Post
      'In many cases the employee is unaware that their payroll is located offshore and tax is being avoided.' Really?
      I think people were signing up to these pay schemes based somewhere like Jersey so the provider didn't have to pay Employer's NI and thus the worker could increase their take home pay (and the provider taking a nice cut too no doubt). However, the worker may not have been aware of the way the scheme operated....
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        I think people were signing up to these pay schemes based somewhere like Jersey so the provider didn't have to pay Employer's NI and thus the worker could increase their take home pay (and the provider taking a nice cut too no doubt). However, the worker may not have been aware of the way the scheme operated....
        I believe many people signed up on the basis that they say a headline rate of £170 a day rather than £150 and didn't know the questions they needed to ask to find out how it occurred.

I guess they just assumed the end client was paying more.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

And the saying goes that 'assume' makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            Thinking about it. I can see how assuming can get you in a whole lot of trouble. All employees trust their employers to make the correct and relevant tax deductions and most employees probably have no idea whether it was correct or not!

It isn't until you get a letter from HMRC changing your tax code that you know there was an 'underpayment'.

Comment

It will be interesting to see whether they decide to invoke debt transfer for anyone recommending these schemes
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                Yes but its also an unfair allegation. I doubt the average teacher actually understands anthing regarding tax. They just see agency 1 pays x, agency 2 pays £x+20 and decide to use agency 2 how on earth are they going to know to ask about NI payments. I can understand them doing it now but before this trick was common knowledge you would have to be very paranoid.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  It will be interesting to see whether they decide to invoke debt transfer for anyone recommending these schemes
                  This I feel would be the end goal.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that as eek suggests, they enquired based on the advertised rate, and the agency in question told them its this rate with this payroll provider. So so had little to no idea that it was an offshore scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    What you should really say is "British firms employing British workers must pay British taxes". Let's be clear here, it's the employers who are avoiding tax, not the employees....

As for a debt transfer happening - I don't think so because what they are doing is perfectly legal. Also, many of these workers are teachers and nurses so the debt would be transferred back onto the school/NHS which would be a bit of an own goal. Transferring it onto the offshore scheme provider (or even an umbrella/agency) runs the risk of instantly bankrupting the provider so no one would get paid that month which wouldn't be good for business either.

So what will happen is that they softly softly change the rules and people stop doing it from April 2014. People who did use these schemes now take a hit on their net income of about 5% as they switch to alternate payment schemes. It was good while it lasted but apparently tax avoidance does pay....
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X