• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment required for my wife?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Long thread for what appears to be one of HMRC's more simpler rules.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is it so hard to a little bit of research?
      Actually, not all information on the HMRC site is legally correct.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Actually, not all information on the HMRC site is legally correct.
        Maybe so but you won't find this out by not reading it at all.

Comment

Coincidentally, I just logged in to post this same thread. I searched for "self assessment" and "assessment" in the forums and there were no matches for some reason. I've never seen anyone mention it before here. Basically the rule is if your wife makes > 10K from investments (so from dividends) then she has to do a return. In the lower bracket you don't pay any tax since the tax in the lower band equals the tax credit from the dividends. In the higher brackets you have to pay tax (all on the HMRC website).

I thought it made the return kind of pointless if your wife is in the lower bracket, and I don't know how they would ever realise she wasn't paying tax on the dividends, but they must have ways and means! I've been nagging my wife to do it for about a week, and she has finally printed the form today, so we will fill it out tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
            Coincidentally, I just logged in to post this same thread. I searched for "self assessment" and "assessment" in the forums and there were no matches for some reason.
            Are you using the method as show here? The site one is pap.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Are you using the method as show here? The site one is pap.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html
              Oh cheers, didn't know you could search sub forums like that. I was using the standard search.

Comment

I guess this is what the tag cloud was supposed to be used for...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  I guess this is what the tag cloud was supposed to be used for...
                  Guinea Pigs
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi - just reading this thread. I've also just found out that my wife needed to complete a SA.

Before you all kill me saying I should have known, it was only yesterday that my accountant told me she would need to complete one and I have, until now, followed everything my accountant has said and haven't been made aware of the need for my wife to complete a SA.

So - feeling pretty sick right now - as we will need to complete SA for my wife for the past 3 years where the dividend would have taken her over the threshold.

Will be contacting HMRC soon as.. Expecting a hefty bill. Already looking at options.. selling house etc..

Great that my account tells me only now.. and a few days before Christmas.

Sure - you're all going to tell me I've been stupid but honestly didn't know any different.

I expect there;s going to be fines as well...

Comment

SA for Shareholder Spouse

Surely if your wife is a shareholder in your limited company you have to account for the dividend taken out of the company and explain what has happened to her share. If she is a 50% shareholder then the dividend must go 50% to her and that gives her income which normally needs to be declared somehwere.

Comment

Working...
                      X