• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment required for my wife?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment required for my wife?

Thought I'd better check if my wife needs to fill in a self assessment this year

She has a low paid job (park time) and is a shareholder in my company (not director) ..

job is <£10k, dividends is <£15k

As I understand it, this is well below any threshold... but does any know if she will need to complete a form (mandatory)??

Is it so hard to a little bit of research?

HM Revenue & Customs: Do you need to complete a tax return?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, seen that, but doesn't really answer my question (or perhaps I don;t understand the HMRC lingo).

Is it MANDATORY to complete the self assessment, if we believe there is nothing owed?

My concern is that there might not be time to get registered for self assessment and then on-line nonsense before the Jan date..... isn't there fines for missing the date even if you don;t owe anything??

Comment

If you do need to fill out an SA for the current tax year, then the deadline for online submissions is 31st Jan 2014, not 2013...it should all be in the link provided by NLUK....

Comment

Originally posted by jumbojake View Post
          Yes, seen that, but doesn't really answer my question (or perhaps I don;t understand the HMRC lingo).

Is it MANDATORY to complete the self assessment, if we believe there is nothing owed?

My concern is that there might not be time to get registered for self assessment and then on-line nonsense before the Jan date..... isn't there fines for missing the date even if you don;t owe anything??
          How do they know nothing is owed until you fill one in if you are required to by that list?

Comment

this is for 2011-2012

Comment

this is for 2011-2012
              You'd better call them and ask. Unless they confirm in writing that you don't need to fill in an SA form they'll only come down harder on you later.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                How do they know nothing is owed until you fill one in if you are required to by that list?
                ??? they clearly don't think she owes anything, as they didn't send her a form ... I'm struggling a bit, as I'm not a tax expert.. doesn't make sense to me if they don't think she needs to, and we don't think she would be liable for any additional tax... lots of paperwork for no benefit (I would save HMRC money by not shaking the hornet's nest).

but I fear the HMRC don't see the world that way, hence my questions....

I guess I need to call them tomorrow...

Comment

??? they clearly don't think she owes anything, as they didn't send her a form ... I'm struggling a bit, as I'm not a tax expert.. doesn't make sense to me if they don't think she needs to, and we don't think she would be liable for any additional tax... lots of paperwork for no benefit (I would save HMRC money by not shaking the hornet's nest).

but I fear the HMRC don't see the world that way, hence my questions....

I guess I need to call them tomorrow...
                  How can they guess her situation to send her one? Does she fall in to any of the categories listed on the link I sent?

Comment

lots of paperwork for no benefit
                    Lots of paperwork for the benefit of lowering your own tax burden by making her a shareholder. If you think that's not worth it, restructure your company.

Comment

Working...
                    X