• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German Prison !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the EU, where all citizens are welcomed and interborder business and taxation is a doddle!

Comment

another update. I asked for the letter in english. I got a replay back saying it is a german issue and therefore all correspondence will be in German - i only know this via google translate !

I did get some quotes from german tax/accountant people and it came to more than i "supposedly" owe.

Comment

Originally posted by yakkers View Post
        another update. I asked for the letter in english. I got a replay back saying it is a german issue and therefore all correspondence will be in German - i only know this via google translate !

I did get some quotes from german tax/accountant people and it came to more than i "supposedly" owe.
        I would advise sorting this out with a German accountant. Have you thought about SJD Accountancy I believe they work together with German tax advisors for contractors.

They might be able to help.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 31 July 2021, 14:42.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Ive checked and i actually worked 4 months and 1 week - i took some leave, and the place i worked at closed at xmas. I flew out friday and flew back either sunday or monday - depending on what flight i could get and stayed at a hotel during the week.
          My problem is the cost. Im now a poor permy. The uk accountants i used for my uk ltd company are still going but will most probably charge me for this work. Then the cost of a German Accountant/Lawyer. Its been almost 6 years since i worked there.
          Does anyone know what happens if i ignore this letter ? what powers they have ?
          Maybe i could ask HMRC to refund the money and give it to the Germans ?

A lot of people have posted over the years with the same situation so im hoping some of them will post and let me know how they got on.
          Ignorning these things is not a good course of action. Heed the advice others have given. Find a recommended German accountant and get an initial reaction and a quote for a resolution. Just checking out the situation should not cost very much.

Do something rather than nothing or risk finding yourself nicked next time you enter Germany. If this really can be viewed as a criminal offence, you may not even need to leave home to be nicked.

Please share your further results. Good luck.

Comment

Hi, could you please let us know if you managed to have this sorted. I am preparing to accept a contract in Germany and thinking to follow your steps...

Comment

Hi, I have seen quite a number of cases where contractors had worked in Germany, went back to their home country within the EU and were then contacted years later by the German tax office through the local tax authorities. Europe has become very small and it has become a very bad hiding place if you have a tax issue. This mutual assistance directive (MARD) works surprisingly well and they really do use it. I recently spoke to a UK contractor who used to work in Germany 8 years ago. He is now living in Spain and he had the Spanish tax officials at his door giving him 1 month to pay his German tax bill - otherwise they would seize his house. No joking. Similiar situation in France. Exactly the same in the UK. Needless to say, that this can be an extremely unpleasant surprise especially as the whole approach by the authorities is very agressive. This has mainly to do with the fact that there is usually a rather long history behind each of these cases of the German tax office initially nicely trying to clear things up. Then they get no response, then they find out that the tax payer has left the country, then they assume the worst, then they finally find him and at that stage they are usually pretty angry and on the attack.

Here is the good news though: in many cases the problem can be minimized through communication and explaining the situation. If they have little information on a case and dont get answers to their questions, they start assuming the worst. They then make estimates - not in favour of the tax payer. Then they add penalties and interest (6% per annum!) plus admin fees. This all adds up very quickly. So, provide them with as much information as you have, clear things up, cooperate and communicate. This really is your only option anyway - apart from finding a new hiding place in a far far away place outside of Europe.

Comment

Working...
              X