• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Oil and Gas PLC.

OK, all you big money people, who else has made more on UKOG shares this last week than they earned last month?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Does anyone write/sell covered call options? I'm struggling to find a UK broker that offers this - plenty of them let you buy them but so far it looks like it's IB only...
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        OK, all you big money people, who else has made more on UKOG shares this last week than they earned last month?
        Ha! Up another 45% the last two days. Seriously, nobody else here taken a punt on UKOG?

Comment

Ha! Up another 45% the last two days. Seriously, nobody else here taken a punt on UKOG?
          You will need to do better than posting the odd shout on a share you luckily hold. Many fall foul of getting luck and skill mixed up.
          Now, if you want to post your predictions for next year or all your current holdings, that gives us something to work with.
          Personally I am get rich slowly, global indexes, some shares, a few legacy funds and IT's that I should really get rid of due to the charges on them.
          I average 9%/annum across the lot and benchmark against the UK all-share index (which I beat by a small margin but individual shares lag)
          I daren't index against global index as I would be taking a beating.
          GLA

Comment

Over the last 4 years getting 9% in EUR, that is about 10% in GBP.

Thinking about putting cash in bonds.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

AIM listed oil explorers are notoriously volatile. They put out press-releases claiming a significant find and whoosh, up goes the price. Then usually it comes crashing back down when it turns out that the "find" is unrecoverable.

Looking at the price today it spiked at 11p around 2pm and was down to 8p by the close. So by piling into this share today, it is entirely possible to have lost 25%.

Comment

It's a pain at the moment. FTSE is artificially high. No idea where to put anything stable.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                  You will need to do better than posting the odd shout on a share you luckily hold. Many fall foul of getting luck and skill mixed up.
                  Now, if you want to post your predictions for next year or all your current holdings, that gives us something to work with.
                  Personally I am get rich slowly, global indexes, some shares, a few legacy funds and IT's that I should really get rid of due to the charges on them.
                  I average 9%/annum across the lot and benchmark against the UK all-share index (which I beat by a small margin but individual shares lag)
                  I daren't index against global index as I would be taking a beating.
                  GLA
                  You need to pay more attention then. Did you buy Petrofac a few weeks ago when I mentioned it here? If you didn't, then you already missed out on ~30% gain plus a very nice dividend to be announced shortly. And shares I luckily hold? Funny thing is, the more research I do into these stocks, the luckier I get. Now for next year, your wish is fulfilled - Take a very close look at Hurricane Energy (HUR). Bargain basement territory right now. Look up the story for yourself but I expect 5x current share price within 18 months and 10x thereafter. Either that or they get taken out by a major oil co.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    AIM listed oil explorers are notoriously volatile. They put out press-releases claiming a significant find and whoosh, up goes the price. Then usually it comes crashing back down when it turns out that the "find" is unrecoverable.

Looking at the price today it spiked at 11p around 2pm and was down to 8p by the close. So by piling into this share today, it is entirely possible to have lost 25%.
                    Spot on, yes, keep your stop losses fairly tight. But the present ramp up has been without any news at all. Buy into UKOG at 3p on further weakness but it might be history now, that kind of price. When the good news about well head oil flows and recoverable reserves arrives, up it will go again. Big time.
                    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 26 July 2017, 23:42.

Comment

Spot on, yes, keep your stop losses fairly tight. But the present ramp up has been without any news at all. Buy into UKOG at 3p on further weakness but it might be history now, that kind of price. When the good news about well head oil flows and recoverable reserves arrives, up it will go again. Big time.
                      Thanks for the advice but I'll give it a miss.

Much prefer a diversified mix of trackers and bond funds myself. Owning a collection of shares that might have the potential for a 10x increase but also the likelihood of a 95% decrease is not for me.

I don't think I have any special skill for picking the winners or indulging in market-timing and I have no access to information other than that that is publically available. In short, I have no advantage.

And another thing is, buying random individual shares is OK when you have a fairly small portfolio. After a couple of decades though is that you end up with a hodge-podge collection of shares that you are not quite sure why you are owning. The danger is that you have no overall strategy other than chasing high-risk shares. That's what happened to me, which is why I moved wholesale into trackers in 2007.

And finally. I have noticed in conversations with fellow investors there is a strong propensity to fool yourself. I have had chats with friends who say "I've made thousands on this share! You should buy it too!" But when I've continued to question them have discovered they've also lost thousands on other shares but they just disregard that. They totally block it out because it's a painful memory. Or they justify the loss as exceptional.

That's why the internet is full of people telling you to pile into a specific share 'cos it's going places but you won't find many posts telling you it's time to sell out of a share.

Comment

Working...
                      X