• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so I've got between a 1 and 6% yield across the portfolio over the last 2 years. (Un)fortunately all the stocks have all gained between 10% and 60% over the same time.

Do you guys usually target yields or growth, or a mixture?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      OK, so I've got between a 1 and 6% yield across the portfolio over the last 2 years. (Un)fortunately all the stocks have all gained between 10% and 60% over the same time.

Sorry mate that makes no sense at all.

You can't give ranges. Average yield and growth will make more sense, ideally a total & breakdown
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post

I disagree with your premise. If your portfolio increases in value, who cares whether the increase is due to dividends or share price increase? At the end of the day, it is money to spend and the chippy down the corner of the street does not care whether you pay for your chips with income money or growth money. It is all the same. I focus on total return and I'll take my portfolio increases in value however it arrives.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          I disagree with your premise. If your portfolio increases in value, who cares whether the increase is due to dividends or share price increase? At the end of the day, it is money to spend and the chippy down the corner of the street does not care whether you pay for your chips with income money or growth money. It is all the same. I focus on total return and I'll take my portfolio increases in value however it arrives.
          What about the Ferrari dealership tho?

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            What about the Ferrari dealership tho?
            No idea. I am not a Ferrari type person.

Comment

You need to pay more attention then. Did you buy Petrofac a few weeks ago when I mentioned it here? If you didn't, then you already missed out on ~30% gain plus a very nice dividend to be announced shortly. And shares I luckily hold? Funny thing is, the more research I do into these stocks, the luckier I get. Now for next year, your wish is fulfilled - Take a very close look at Hurricane Energy (HUR). Bargain basement territory right now. Look up the story for yourself but I expect 5x current share price within 18 months and 10x thereafter. Either that or they get taken out by a major oil co.
              Who has looked seriously at Hurricane Energy since I made this post? Well, yesterday - From Malcy's blog -
              HUR has announced that it is no longer going ahead with the pre-emptive offer to shareholders to raise another $5m at 32p per share, provided the share price remains below that price for the next five days. It was not practical to do this offer at the time of the fund raise as it would have required a UKLA prospectus which couldnt be done in the timeframe for the Lancaster FID and now shareholders can buy shares more cheaply in the market. This makes common sense as it saves the company money, and management time that is being used for the build-up to the EPS for Lancaster for which it is fully funded. I am expecting a fair bit of important news from HUR in the coming months not least the FID for Lancaster and a new CPR on the assets. I am regularly asked whether I still feel that the company is good value after the recent fall and I can confidently say that I have rarely seen such significant upside potential and on any medium to long term view the stock is extraordinarily cheap.
              Fill your boots guys

Comment

Diversification

Fred Bloggs: I agree, it's all about total return i.e. capital appreciation + dividend yield. At the end of the day, it's the annualized return that counts. So, my high growth fund is making 60% 'annual' return at the moment, but the 'annualized' return (total return over a set period of time) will most probably be 8-9% (due to fluctuations in the market).

B0redeom: I have diverse holdings i.e.

High growth fund - Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust, which consists of innovative tech stocks such as Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Tesla, Alphabet etc.

Dividend fund - Diverse range of dividend stocks from the S&P 500, DAX, FTSE etc.
                I reinvest all my dividends back into the lowest ranking/ cheapest stock in my fund

Index Fund (SIPP) - Vanguard 60/40.
                http://www.thecannycontractor.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Canny Contractor View Post
                  Fred Bloggs: I agree, it's all about total return i.e. capital appreciation + dividend yield. At the end of the day, it's the annualized return that counts. So, my high growth fund is making 60% 'annual' return at the moment, but the 'annualized' return (total return over a set period of time) will most probably be 8-9% (due to fluctuations in the market).

B0redeom: I have diverse holdings i.e.

High growth fund - Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust, which consists of innovative tech stocks such as Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Tesla, Alphabet etc.

Dividend fund - Diverse range of dividend stocks from the S&P 500, DAX, FTSE etc.
                  I reinvest all my dividends back into the lowest ranking/ cheapest stock in my fund

Index Fund (SIPP) - Vanguard 60/40.
                  Irrespective of whether your increased wealth is income, growth or bananas, seems you're doing very nicely. I largely pulled out of the tech sector (Polar Tech Trust). But the returns continue to be superb, no doubt.

Comment

You need to pay more attention then. Did you buy Petrofac a few weeks ago when I mentioned it here? If you didn't, then you already missed out on ~30% gain plus a very nice dividend to be announced shortly. And shares I luckily hold? Funny thing is, the more research I do into these stocks, the luckier I get. Now for next year, your wish is fulfilled - Take a very close look at Hurricane Energy (HUR). Bargain basement territory right now. Look up the story for yourself but I expect 5x current share price within 18 months and 10x thereafter. Either that or they get taken out by a major oil co.
                    Nobody bought Petrofac a few weeks back then? They landed a USD 2 billion contract in Oman last week. Very nice up tick in share price and soon a very nice dividend on top. Amazing how lucky I am lately, nothing to do with my research into the sector naturally, of course. Oh, just to mention at the moment, you're missing a 70% profit in UKOG the last two weeks too. Best to buy into Hurricane Energy at the bargain price, while you still can. This one is in the doldrums waiting for the next tranche of good news before it ticks up again.

Comment

Nobody bought Petrofac a few weeks back then? They landed a USD 2 billion contract in Oman last week. Very nice up tick in share price and soon a very nice dividend on top. Amazing how lucky I am lately, nothing to do with my research into the sector naturally, of course. Oh, just to mention at the moment, you're missing a 70% profit in UKOG the last two weeks too. Best to buy into Hurricane Energy at the bargain price, while you still can. This one is in the doldrums waiting for the next tranche of good news before it ticks up again.
                      How are they compared to three months ago?

In this world there are two types of investors, those looking for a quick return (I am talking under two years) or those in for the long haul, I am no where near good enough to be in it short term (care to share any of your losses with us rather than just your wins?). I read an interesting article that due to HFT the average length a stock is held these days is in the seconds, leveraging large amounts for minute gains, the big boys are much better at it than most, so I will keep to the slow and steady route.
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X