• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Santander - csv download

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santander - csv download

It used to be possible to download bank statements from Santander in .csv format, just select the month you want click download and there you had it. Simples.

Since April this year they 'upgraded' the site so now you must enter a date range and, more annoyingly, csv download is no longer an option. There is now a "Microsoft Excel" download option, although on inspection of the resulting file this is actually the data formatted as an HTML web page. Bizarrely, Firefox identifies it as csv file type in the Save As dialog despite the .xls file extension.

All I need is something that imports into a LibreOffice spreadsheet. The html format works in that respect but I would have more faith in a pure csv solution.

I find it incredible that .csv download functionality should be removed from a financial site. Anyone else had problems with this, or bothered to complain to Santander?

Is HTML even valid as an .xls file?

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    It used to be possible to download bank statements from Santander in .csv format, just select the month you want click download and there you had it. Simples.

Since April this year they 'upgraded' the site so now you must enter a date range and, more annoyingly, csv download is no longer an option. There is now a "Microsoft Excel" download option, although on inspection of the resulting file this is actually the data formatted as an HTML web page. Bizarrely, Firefox identifies it as csv file type in the Save As dialog despite the .xls file extension.

All I need is something that imports into a LibreOffice spreadsheet. The html format works in that respect but I would have more faith in a pure csv solution.

I find it incredible that .csv download functionality should be removed from a financial site. Anyone else had problems with this, or bothered to complain to Santander?
    Is HTML even valid as an .xls file?
    I too am having the same issues as a result of CSV downloads lacking at Santander.

I find it ridiculous tbh. Words fail me.

Comment

Originally posted by zudecke View Post
      I too am having the same issues as a result of CSV downloads lacking at Santander.

I find it ridiculous tbh. Words fail me.
      Can I ask which browser are you using?

With Firefox, whichever format I select (XLS, TXT, QIF or PDF) it's identified in the download dialog as a "csv" file (based on the mime-type?). The TXT and PDF formats do appear to work but are of no use for importing into a spreadsheet. The XLS options produces a HTML file (named with .xls file extension), which would load OK into LibreOffice 3.x but no longer works since upgrading to 4.1.

A quick google suggests that QIF to CSV tools exist, so that might be an option. I haven't tried that yet.

Anyone affected by this should send Santander a secure message (link in the lefthand panel of every page) and ask them to pull their finger out. It's been broken since April 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        Can I ask which browser are you using?

With Firefox, whichever format I select (XLS, TXT, QIF or PDF) it's identified in the download dialog as a "csv" file (based on the mime-type?). The TXT and PDF formats do appear to work but are of no use for importing into a spreadsheet. The XLS options produces a HTML file (named with .xls file extension), which would load OK into LibreOffice 3.x but no longer works since upgrading to 4.1.

A quick google suggests that QIF to CSV tools exist, so that might be an option. I haven't tried that yet.

Anyone affected by this should send Santander a secure message (link in the lefthand panel of every page) and ask them to pull their finger out. It's been broken since April 2012.
        Hey, I was using Chrome.

Interesting what you said about the file type and conversion option! Maybe there's hope after all.

But yes, I will indeed message Santander first thing tomorrow.

In all honesty, Santander online banking is an absolute disgrace. I thought Halifax was bad!!

We're talking about huge organisations and they can't even build a pretty front end interface for who are essentially their lenders.

Considering moving to Lloyd but they're just as useless.

Comment

I had the same problem, I messaged Santander and they were completely useless.

However I found the following solution worked for me.

Briefly it seems Santander are saving and html file with a .xls extension. Change the file extension to .html, click on the file to open it in a browser and then select all and paste it into an empty spreadsheet.

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/quest...ding-xls-file/

Comment

When you down load a statement, best to select the "since last download" option. Using Chrome or Firefox it works great and the .qif file uploads to FreeAgent in a few seconds. Simples.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

The CSV download feature was broken when they revamped the site in 2012. QIF download works fine though and I have been using this since with a short sed script to convert to CSV. Happy to share if anyone needs it.

As a customer having experienced site 'upgrades' on a handful of banking and share dealing websites over recent years I find it incredible that most of these have resulted in borked or lost functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by zudecke View Post
                In all honesty, Santander online banking is an absolute disgrace. I thought Halifax was bad!!
                Considering moving to Lloyd but they're just as useless.
                This can say a word or two about the IT contractors (and BAs as well) who wrote the interfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
                  This can say a word or two about the IT contractors (and BAs as well) who wrote the interfaces.
                  I suspect we have our friends on the sub continent to thank. And for bug fixes, suppose there is no money in the kitty.

But, TBH, I find both Santander and Lloyds on line banking perfectly fine, not perfect, but fine.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Santander download experience

Just resolved a number of difficulties with download from Santander Business Account

So

Office 365
                    Windows 10
                    Chrome 64 bit

First download as XLS file

- have to give myself 'permissions' to my own file (support call to Santander to find this out)
                    - open file in Excel and 'Save as CSV'
                    - open again to edit 'blank' columns/rows, header information etc, to gain a very 'clean' file to import to clearbooks

success! (on the third monthly try....)

Comment

Working...
                    X