• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I employ myself and my wife to pay salary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you're over-stretching yourself with IR35 Nick, unless you've seen the contract and know their working practices.

I wouldn't advise trying to FUD a contractor forum...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      WHS. Unless the OP has already been in touch with the said Accountant outside this forum, I wonder how the Accountant has come to the said conclusion.
      I don't think he's been with us yet

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
        I don't think he's been with us yet
        Can I help you with that coat?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Yes, I think paying slightly less at £624/month may be a better salary as there will be no NI/PAYE due on that amount and net dividends of up to £31,488.

For some reason my accountant recommended £600 salary though.

You might want to pay your wife less salary depending on how much work she does for the company. If her input is negligible then just give her the shares/dividends and don't pay a salary - we hear that HMRC can get a bit grumpy if your spouse does no obvious work to earn her salary. I can't help but think of all those MP's wives who were paid a salary out of MPs expenses for doing bugger all though...
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            Yes, I think paying slightly less at £624/month may be a better salary as there will be no NI/PAYE due on that amount and net dividends of up to £31,488.

For some reason my accountant recommended £600 salary though.
            Laziness because £600 is a round figure I guess.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...e-company.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...d-company.html

All threads here

wife site:forums.contractoruk.com/accounting-legal/ - Google Search

There is also a question hanging over making your wife a partner in your company. It can go horribly wrong if you start having problems. She will own half your company.
              Thanks for this links.

I established my company only two months ago. Now some accountant told me it will be possible to add my wife as a shareholder retroactively (i.e from start of the company). Is this really possible?

Comment

Originally posted by anddrew View Post
                I established my company only two months ago. Now some accountant told me it will be possible to add my wife as a shareholder retroactively (i.e from start of the company). Is this really possible?
                Yes.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X