• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why on earth are HMRC sending APN's to MP within the first few thousand letters. Only an utter fool would send them to the people who (rightly) fight every inch of the way.
    I'm not sure they are - I am interpreting Santas point as being that MP are awaiting one of their users to receive an APN, so they can launch a JR.

I don't think HMRC are smart enough to work out which users do not have the backing to go to a JR - and target them first. But if they are doing that, being an MP client should push you down the priority list.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Why on earth are HMRC sending APN's to MP within the first few thousand letters. Only an utter fool would send them to the people who (rightly) fight every inch of the way.
      The really should wait for FTTT - 2016?

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        I'm not sure they are - I am interpreting Santas point as being that MP are awaiting one of their users to receive an APN, so they can launch a JR.
        That's how I understood what I heard.

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        I don't think HMRC are smart enough to work out which users do not have the backing to go to a JR - and target them first. But if they are doing that, being an MP client should push you down the priority list.
        The words HMRC and Smart definitely don't go together. They are the mafia without brains.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          Hi all

There have been a number of criticisms on the forum regarding Montpelier, so I just wanted to clear the matter up once and for all, and also reassure people...

In answer to those who ask "what are Montpelier doing?". Well unlike other providers such as DeGraaf, Sanzar etc., who have just abandoned their clients, MontP continues to fight for contractors at its own cost.

You won't hear daily rants or moans from them - they just quietly get on with it. Let's look at their track record:

1) They took on HMRC at the JR & CoA.

2) On behalf of Huitson they have lodged an application in Strasbourg claiming Human Rights violations.

3) They are taking Huitson’s challenge of s 58 to the First Tier Tax Tribunal which includes an application to refer to Europe for breach of Article 56 being free movement of capital.

4) I also hear that they await sight of the first APN and will judicially review it.

So guys, the legal challenges are far from over and I have every faith in Montpelier and ourselves (NTRT) to keep fighting this injustice.
          hear hear /waves paper/

Nuf respect to WG and the MTM massiv

Comment

APN (not an MP one) available to view at

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1z2...p=docslist_api

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              We all knew he was innocent. It was just down to the judge.

I have to admit, I expected him to do a runner. Top marks for him standing up to the liars and cheats.

I would imagine he thinks that one day we will be cleared, that he will collect his fees, and make a load more money from financial management.
              Reading through reports of the trial of Gittins and Calcutt it appears it collapsed because the prosecution did not want to have the 5 HMRC prosecution witnesses cross examined under oath.

That was a real pity because I expect defense was looking forward to giving them a good kicking in cross examination questioning their honesty and exposing their ignorance. I expect Gittins will be looking at putting HMRC in the dock... so we have to wait for another day before we see them all in court to be cross examined and held accountable for their actions.

Comment

That was a real pity because I expect defense was looking forward to giving them a good kicking in cross examination questioning their honesty and exposing their ignorance. I expect Gittins will be looking at putting HMRC in the dock... so we have to wait for another day before we see them all in court to be cross examined and held accountable for their actions.
                Oh I wish that could happen. But I can't see anyway of thiat occuring - am I wrong? What would it take? Could WG launch some sort of prosecution against them?

Any chance they could be asked about s58 at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Oh I wish that could happen. But I can't see anyway of thiat occuring - am I wrong? What would it take? Could WG launch some sort of prosecution against them?

Any chance they could be asked about s58 at the same time?
                  I'm sure it will happen, I don't know when.

Comment

I was always certain WG was innocent. But I thought "the powers that be" would gang up and ensure a conviction - despite the facts proving his innocence and conspiracy against him.

I hope we get a similar day in court. All I want is the facts and a trial by jury.

Comment

It might come out before that, indirectly. The credibility of the 5 HMRC officers has been completely undermined by this. We don't know the reasons, but HMRC know internally, and every tax barrister / QC involved in cases involving MacDougall Crew will be scrambling to find out what it was. WG will know, and that's leverage. The irony in all this of course being that we did nothing illegal, declared everything and were completely transparent in our tax dealings are are about to be destroyed by the same courts that have allowed HMRC to duck out and get away with it seems no questions asked - at least so far. We have a right to demand that they are as open and transparent as were, this case could have taken away what little legal defence we have. It's an outrage. I hope that WG goes after them personally, and I hope they go through the hell they have put us through. I'm sure WG doesn't need the money, but I'd happily make a contribution to make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X