• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dig the dirt

Originally posted by swede View Post
    Count me in too.

If giving MPs exemption from certain new tax legislation wasn't proof enough that something is rotten, (and they are aware of it), a bit of hard evidence for the press and their constituents wouldn't go amiss.
    Count me in too - and what a bonus that we're now into the last 10 months before the next general election. Time to get some of the guilty squirming.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
      Does anyone have a link to the Hansard notes where Gauke recently stated that there had been "more than 20" responses to the APN/FN consultation document?

I wanted to mention this particular piece of (although technically true), deliberately misleading information in the latest letter to my MP.

Thanks,
      D&C
      https://www.dotas-scandal.org/gauke-...n-the-process/

Comment

Thanks lucozade. Funnily enough that's the first place I looked but Monday morning numptiness meant I missed the hyperlink to the Hansard notes.

D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
          He who dares wins. Count me in too

Me too! A fabulous idea that would rattle a few cages I'm sure!

Comment

Originally posted by BettySwollocks View Post
            Nicely put...

I've used the above (with the typos fixed plus added reference to Ingenious Media) to send an email to my MP Zac Goldsmith - he was sympathetic to our plight in the past so hopefully, he'll take up the baton again...
            Sent something similar to my MP and also pointed out that as Liberty fits the criteria of "aggressive" and "wholly exceptional" supposedly required for retro then why hasn’t it been used (another example of discrimination), and by using retro against us we simultaneously had the option of settling early removed from us!
            Last edited by Fireship; 15 July 2014, 05:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
              Me too! A fabulous idea that would rattle a few cages I'm sure!
              I was only half-serious.

There would be significant obstacles.
              1. reaching a substantial number of the 43,000 taxpayers
              2. convincing people that this was genuine and that the money would only be used for the intended purpose (as opposed to lining some unscrupulous person's pocket)
              3. making it easy to donate (from experience, I know this would ring alarm bells with the likes of PayPal, especially if it involved £millions!!!)

Comment

Kickstarter

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                I was only half-serious.

There would be significant obstacles.
                1. reaching a substantial number of the 43,000 taxpayers
                2. convincing people that this was genuine and that the money would only be used for the intended purpose (as opposed to lining some unscrupulous person's pocket)
                3. making it easy to donate (from experience, I know this would ring alarm bells with the likes of PayPal, especially if it involved £millions!!!)
                Kickstarter?

Comment

Rumours abound that HMRC are listing scheme reference numbers tomorrow which will be sent APNs.

BBC Newsnight covering the story.

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/st...80532600565761

Comment

BBC News - UK debt collection plan has 'failed' say MPs

The Treasury and Cabinet Office need to come up with a plan to help manage £22bn owed to the government, say a group of influential MPs. The majority, £15bn is owed to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Authorities should also consider the effectiveness of hiring debt collectors, it said.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                      Rumours abound that HMRC are listing scheme reference numbers tomorrow which will be sent APNs.

BBC Newsnight covering the story.

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/st...80532600565761
                      Over 1,000 schemes. 43,000 taxpayers.

Average of only 43 taxpayers per scheme

Comment

Working...
                      X