• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DownButNotOut View Post
    it hasn't stopped me from contacting my MP, reply back within a few minutes.....

Dear XXXX

Many thanks for your email and, indeed, welcome to XXXX

As requested, I have written to my ministerial colleague David Gauke MP, the Exchequer Secretary, copying your concerns and requesting his response to them. I will send his reply on to you as soon as I receive it.

Best regards

Kris Hopkins

Same here:-

Fair points.

Let me get on to David Gauke and see what he has to say.

Steve Pound.

Comment

new on BBC website:

BBC News - David Beckham among 33,000 to receive new tax demand

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
        Just thought I'd bump up DRs post from earlier as there's been a lot of (good) activity today and some us may not have seen this. But it looks like we are not in the immediate firing line.
        If you do listen to the meeting and want to get to the bit that concerns accelerated payments, it starts at about 01:46 and finishes 01:57

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          apparently you will only get an APN once the FTT has made an initial judgement. News to me and has never been mentioned anywhere before, its always been if there is an open enquiry. Think this maybe a new concession they have introduced that even Gauke isnt aware of! This goes some way to them avoiding bankrupting people and then losing the case to the taxpayer, granted they could still lose at appeal etc but its at least one level of safety net.

We just need to make damn sure that this is recorded for future reference!!
          I thought that was for a follower notice and not an APN. Are Gauke and HMRC talking about different things?

Comment

apparently you will only get an APN once the FTT has made an initial judgement. News to me and has never been mentioned anywhere before, its always been if there is an open enquiry. Think this maybe a new concession they have introduced that even Gauke isnt aware of! This goes some way to them avoiding bankrupting people and then losing the case to the taxpayer, granted they could still lose at appeal etc but its at least one level of safety net.

We just need to make damn sure that this is recorded for future reference!!
            I would not give this statement too much credence.
            Almost sounds like something she made up on the fly under stress.
            It will be "unsaid" as fast as it.was said...
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
              Yup, that would be good. If someone could help compile and verify this information, I would put together the Wall of Shame I have promised a while ago.
              Definitely need to keep a tab on them the same way they keep tabs on us.
              Why don't we ask them on twitter directly? Your last campaign at least got through to them. If we were to go with the yays and nayes we could end up pointing at some of our supporters. What about straightforward question that encompasses DOTAS and S58?

Retrospective tax legislation has been described as a breach of Article 39 of the Magna Carta. Do you support this policy? #magnacarta39

and we record their response, yes / no / failed to respond.

Comment

Surely she cant get away with saying something to the treasury committee that can be viewed as something she made up and isnt binding??

Comment

Surely she cant get away with saying something to the treasury committee that can be viewed as something she made up and isnt binding??
                  I wouldn't be too sure about anything! HMRC seems to be able to get away with everything...
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Absolutely - although to me they indicated they would apply them to the follower cases first, then ascertain what resources they need to bring in, what the fallout is. Then they will look at the DOTAS element of it.

I would say they got asked some pretty probing questions regarding these new powers - if I were they, for their own personal survival they will need to step carefully.

Comment

another article hot off the press:

"investors must either reach an immediate settlement with Revenue & Customs or fight the ruling via the courts.
                      Ingenious warned its investors time was running out if they wanted to take up a settlement offer from HMRC. The offer is thought to cut their bills by up to 40% by allowing them tax relief on the cash element of their investment but not the part funded by borrowings.
                      Ingenious told clients they have a short time to take up a settlement offer. It said: "We have done everything we can to lobby for changes to the accelerated payment proposals as the Bill has progressed through Parliament, but without success.”

another mention of the 40% discount but it now appears related to reliefs rather than a discount??

Beckham joins celebs facing £520m bill over tax schemes

Comment

Working...
                      X