• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should know more about future meeting dates in the next couple of days.

Latest news on the Finance (No.2) Bill 2013-14

This bill will continue its progress in the next session of Parliament.

Parliament has been prorogued and the 2013-14 session has ended. The new session for 2014-15 begins with the State Opening of Parliament on 4 June 2014.

A carry-over motion to allow this Bill to continue in the next session was agreed on 1 April 2014. A date for the next meeting of the Public Bill Committee will be confirmed after the start of the new session.

Full link: Finance (No.2) Bill 2013-14 — UK Parliament
    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
      We should know more about future meeting dates in the next couple of days.

Latest news on the Finance (No.2) Bill 2013-14

This bill will continue its progress in the next session of Parliament.

Parliament has been prorogued and the 2013-14 session has ended. The new session for 2014-15 begins with the State Opening of Parliament on 4 June 2014.

A carry-over motion to allow this Bill to continue in the next session was agreed on 1 April 2014. A date for the next meeting of the Public Bill Committee will be confirmed after the start of the new session.

Full link: Finance (No.2) Bill 2013-14 — UK Parliament
      This gonna be another one of those end of day discussions where everyone wants to get home and just nods it through like last time? I do hope this is given some proper debate and consideration as its not just a couple of thousand scum contractors affected. Remember that guys, we are a small percentage of people affected this has nothing to do with S58, there are some mighty big players who will get some enormous bills through the post should this go through.

The outcome is not all down to our actions remember...
      Last edited by smalldog; 3 June 2014, 09:41.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        Lucozade, you have done nothing wrong and your children don't deserve to lose their father. Please be strong for their sake.
        +2. This mess will be dead and buried soon and your children deserve a father, they won’t care if you were once (unjustly) declared bankrupt, they will care if you’re not there to play with them and see them grow up!

Seek help, because of this situation my wife came close to the path you are referring to and professional intervention really helped!

In addition seek profession advice from an insolvency practitioner, you may find bankruptcy isn’t as bad as you fear plus they’ll have a hard time taking the family home under the circumstances especially with infants in the house – with any luck your children won’t be subject to any upheaval!

Good luck and stay strong!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          This gonna be another one of those end of day discussions where everyone wants to get home and just nods it through like last time? I do hope this is given some proper debate and consideration as its not just a couple of thousand scum contractors affected. Remember that guys, we are a small percentage of people affected this has nothing to do with S58, there are some mighty big players who will get some enormous bills through the post should this go through.

The outcome is not all down to our actions remember...
          It will get nodded through if everyone sticks their heads in the sand like last time.

I'd just like to say something... MPs are on twitter and looking at their blasted iPhones the whole time. What better way to remind them of their duty than tweeting them. It is a more immediate attention seeking device than email.

Please could everyone follow @BeenGauked, retweet my messages and also tweet about the Finance Act from your own personal Twitter accounts.

More importantly, if everyone could tweet their MPs (they are all on twitter) with the same hashtag #FinanceBill2014 we might even start a trending topic. Remind them every day of their duty not to let this legislation go through.

They are paid to serve us, not the other way round. Somewhere along the way, they forgot that.

If everyone only does a fraction of the work I have done, NTRT have done and DotasScandal has done, we could make waves.

BeenGauked
          Last edited by BeenGauked; 3 June 2014, 10:07.

Comment

+10000.

It's not all up to us, but it should be everyone's duty to do all that is in their power to oppose this attack on us all.
            Gauke & co. are only as powerful as we allow them to be by our complacency.

Don't listen to the naysayers, do your best, and DON'T WAIT FOR OTHERS TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO.

Ps: also on Twitter - @DotasScandal

www.dotas-scandal.org
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
              +10000.

It's not all up to us, but it should be everyone's duty to do all that is in their power to oppose this attack on us all.

Don't listen to the naysayers, do your best, and DON'T WAIT FOR OTHERS TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO.

www.dotas-scandal.org
              suggestion please, written to my MP, he replied in support and I have now asked him if he is raise his concerns at the report stage. I dont use twitter at all, anything else I can do? Can post something onto my FB page I guess....

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                Must admit I'm thinking my only option to protect my family is suicide. I really don't want my 1 and 4 year old to be caught up in this mess. I'm starting to believe they will be better off without their alleged tax dodging father.

This isn't a cry for help by the way this is just the reality of the situation.
                If you are thinking about this as a financial strategy, it is a bad one. Far better to go bankrupt and do your best to start again. Do a rational calculation about the family financial situation in 10 years post bankruptcy vs post suicide.

If you are depressed and / or planning how to kill yourself, this sounds like a medical emergency and you need to seek help, either initially from your GP (if you have any confidence in him/her - some of them are pretty good with such issues.) or try the Samaritans on 08457 909090. This may be something you cannot easily manage on your own without outside help.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                  +10000.

www.dotas-scandal.org
                  Don't count me as a naysayer, as while I don't think anything will work unless YOU do something now it will be TOO late...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Try to find if there are people you know whose MP is on the Finance Bill committee (list on our website).
                    Spread the message to other contractors you know, regardless of whether they are using a DOTAS scheme or not.
                    Ask your MP to push for an amendment to reject retrospective APNs.
                    Comment on any HMRC related news article you can find online, to raise awareness of the issue (link to Dotas Scandal appreciated)
                    Blast it to all your family and friends, explain why this is total BS.
                    Ask yourself if you have a skill or contacts that could be helpful to the campaign in any way.

The action doesn't stop with your MP, there are many things to do...

Be creative.

www.dotas-scandal.org
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      suggestion please, written to my MP, he replied in support and I have now asked him if he is raise his concerns at the report stage. I dont use twitter at all, anything else I can do? Can post something onto my FB page I guess....
                      Hi Smalldog, it literally takes 2 minutes to setup a Twitter account. Just provide an email address and by the time you've read this email, you could be up and running.

Facebook isn't really the media of choice as it's more a private feed for family and friends. Twitter is an ideal platform for broadcasting messages to people you don't know and influential people who are unreachable by standard means.

And to everyone else on this forum, it is definitely NOT too late to campaign against this. In fact the few days we have before the Finance Bill is discussed will mean, with a bit of work from everyone, it could be at the top of every MP's mind at the crucial moment.
                      Last edited by SantaClaus; 3 June 2014, 12:06.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X