• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen Pound

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
    Just tried joining but can't access the sign up page. Probably busy so will try later.

Bumped into my MP today (Steve Pound, Lab, Ealing North). He hasn't replied to my letter so I collared him about that. He says he hasn't received it and to be honest he probably hasn't as he's always been fairly prompt in his replies to earlier letters. I'll shove it through his letterbox, as 'twere, a bit later as he lives nearby.

His view was that although BN66 allows HMRC to collect retrospective tax, they never actually would do that to individuals in reality. When I brought him up to speed his reply was "no, no, that's not right at all".

Anyway, I'll get the letter off to him and get together with him when I receive a reply.
    Pound was on the original Finance Committee back in 2008.

Get this....
    He voted 'Yes' to BN66, but didn't bother turning up!

I think he might be avoiding you.
    Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Letter gone to my MP

Sent my letter to my MP today - will let everyone know what the response is when I get it. Shame he is not on any of the committees mentioned, but he has been sympathetic when I've written to him in the past about our cause, so let's see what happens this time.

From memory I think there are 2 others on this forum who have the same MP as me - has anyone else had any contact with Ed Davey?
      Last edited by SLB; 23 April 2012, 18:55. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I wonder if HMRC have a slush fund to access such websites.....a bit like the police did with the Climate Change protesters.

Comment

Mark Menzies

Received a response from my MP whom wrote to DG.

Usual response from DG.

"The matter raised by your constituent were considered in depth as part of the Judicial review of the legislation in question. That legal process is now at an end...... Blaa blaa blaa"

Now all I need is a nice concise letter in response to send to my MP highlighting how much of a liar DG really is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            I wonder if HMRC have a slush fund to access such websites.....a bit like the police did with the Climate Change protesters.
            As they are the cause of the problem, it would be appropiate that they contribute to clearing it up. I'm sure most would agree that they are welcome to contribute if they wish.

I expect they will get to see all of the evidence that has been collected - afterall, they're going to have to explain what they did. Or at least try to. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.
            There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Face-to-Face Meeting with MP

Last Friday, my friend had a face-to-face meeting with his MP (Cons.). It lasted about 20 minutes.

Here's what he said about it...

The first 10-15 minutes were disheartening. It appeared that the MP, although sympathetic, wasn't about to offer any hope of his constructive assistance.

But then the MP was shown the following :
              i) Correspondence from HMRC demonstrating that May 2007 was the first instance of their advisement to "pay money on account" etc.
              ii) LJ Mummery's CoA judgment with paragraph 85 of J Parker's judgment underlined. (This being the paragraph containing "On the contrary HMRC consistently maintained that the arrangements did not work, and advised taxpayers to pay on account...")

The disparity between (i) & (ii) effectively turned the meeting around. The MP was of the opinion that any retrospection should only extend as far back as May 2007, and he resolved to write to Mr. Gauke about this specific matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                Pound was on the original Finance Committee back in 2008.

Get this....
                He voted 'Yes' to BN66, but didn't bother turning up!

I think he might be avoiding you.
                Latest letter delivered to his private address so I await his reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  I am sure they do for PCG.

No-one seems sure how they get hold of all the montp letters either.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I am sure they do for PCG.

No-one seems sure how they get hold of all the montp letters either.
                    Someone offered a deal to co-operate?

Comment

I don't think we should get too hung up on whether HMRC can/cannot access the website.

I am happy for them to contribute to our fighting fund though
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X