• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

tax-free directors salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    Correct. Plus it's not actually in your pocket, the saving is in CT so it's still in the company. If you normally take dividends right up the 40% band then you will have to reduce them accordingly to remain under it because your salary has gone up. If you don't then you'll be paying 25% tax on that £14.42.

Down to 3 pints.
    You then get a gig in London and you are down to half a shandy.. HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kugel View Post
      I am not a regular employee. I am a Director.
      Indeed. So the liability for NICs depends on when you decide how much you will be paying yourself, when it's paid to you or if you have a "directors account" when it's credited to the account and when you draw money from the account. You need to redo the calculation every time you make a payment. Depending on how you date things it's quite possible that the full NIC liability on the salary could be due in month 1.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Actually... the extra £153 salary you'd be taking (£7225 - £7072) would mean that you'd taking £153 less in lower rate dividends.

This is looking like too much of a blag for me. I'm out.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
          Correct. Plus it's not actually in your pocket, the saving is in CT so it's still in the company. If you normally take dividends right up the 40% band then you will have to reduce them accordingly to remain under it because your salary has gone up. If you don't then you'll be paying 25% tax on that £14.42.

Down to 3 pints.
          You get extra £156 in salary per year. Correspondingly company profit is reduced by £176.98. This results in net dividends reduced by £141.58 and gross dividends reduced by £157.31.

As you can see your total gross income is actually reduced by £1.31. It is 4 pints after all.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            This is looking like too much of a blag for me. I'm out.
            No pain, no gain.

Comment

So, confused now. So its £14 extra then but you have the hassle of PAYE returns every quarter?

Nah, sod that for £14.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                So, confused now. So its £14 extra then but you have the hassle of PAYE returns every quarter?

Nah, sod that for £14.
                It is £14 extra, but you have the hassle of 1 PAYE return per year - for the last quarter.

PS: And you are less likely to be selected for IR35 investigation because you pay employers NICs! Unlike those filthy tax avoiders.
                Last edited by Kugel; 9 February 2012, 12:41.

Comment

It is £14 extra, but you have the hassle of 1 PAYE return per year - for the last quarter.

PS: And you are less likely to be selected for IR35 investigation because you pay employers NICs! Unlike those filthy tax avoiders.
                  That is a good point actually. HMRC's selection process could be:

select * from limited_company where close_company = 1 order by nics_paid
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

And your evidence for that is.....?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

After reading all these comments, I am wondering why my accountant is advising for £12k salary per annum instead of “tax code value”?

My Accountant's view is, paying 12K will cover national minimum wage. Is this necessary? If yes than people who pays around £8k won’t comply with this requirement?

Secondly, Paying no NI means I am not eligible for state benefits or sick pay etc (In case if I need to claim)? Hence I should pay 12K instead of tax code value.

What are your views please?

Comment

Working...
                      X