• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to pay extra income into pension...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to pay extra income into pension...

I currently pay myself a 12k salary and 28k dividends so any extra income attracts a higher tax rate. I have some extra income coming in as a sole trader, I'd like to put this income into a pension and not pay the higher rate of tax. I was wondering whether there is any difference with the following solutions?

1. Adjust my salary to compensate for the extra income and pay into my pension from my ltd.

Eg, for 3k income as a sole trader:
    - Salary from ltd becomes 9k
    - 3k sole trader income is taxed as personal income
    - 3k is paid into pension from the ltd

2. Keep the salary the same and pay the extra income direct into the pension. With this solution I am also not sure how much I need to pay into the pension. In this instance, does anyone know how much I need to pay into the pension (personally) to offset say 3k income at the higher tax rate?

If there are no difference between the two options then I would prefer option 2 as the extra income would vary from year to year.

I know this is a question for my accountant but he is always conveniently 'in a meeting'.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
    I currently pay myself a 12k salary and 28k dividends so any extra income attracts a higher tax rate. I have some extra income coming in as a sole trader, I'd like to put this income into a pension and not pay the higher rate of tax. I was wondering whether there is any difference with the following solutions?

1. Adjust my salary to compensate for the extra income and pay into my pension from my ltd.

Eg, for 3k income as a sole trader:
    - Salary from ltd becomes 9k
    - 3k sole trader income is taxed as personal income
    - 3k is paid into pension from the ltd

2. Keep the salary the same and pay the extra income direct into the pension. With this solution I am also not sure how much I need to pay into the pension. In this instance, does anyone know how much I need to pay into the pension (personally) to offset say 3k income at the higher tax rate?

If there are no difference between the two options then I would prefer option 2 as the extra income would vary from year to year.

I know this is a question for my accountant but he is always conveniently 'in a meeting'.

Thanks in advance!
    I'm no expert but as I understand it ....

For 2, at self assesment your tax allowance increases by the amount paid into your pension personally. i.e. if you get an extra £3K from self employment and pay that all into your pension then you will pay no more tax than if you hadn't got the £3K. But you can only pay up to 100% of your salary personally (and get tax relief) whereas paying from a ltd co., the tax advantage is gained on all money paid into your pension.

Comment

Option 1. Company contributions direct to the pension will save you on employee NI and employer NI. aka. Salary sacrifice.

Will leave it to someone else to ask why 12k.

Comment

As I understand it, when you pay your own money into a personal pension, the pension provider claims 20% tax relief on that amount and your contribution effectively increases - i.e. pay in £2,400 and your pension balance will actually increase by £3,000. If you are a higher rate tax payer, then you can claim back the extra difference on your tax return. Thus, in effect you are quids in because you don't pay as much into the pension and you get the rest back in an increased personal allowance.

Do you realise that you could save yourself about a grand in NI payments if you adjusted your salary to £7500 and dividends to £32,500?
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
          Option 1. Company contributions direct to the pension will save you on employee NI and employer NI. aka. Salary sacrifice.

Will leave it to someone else to ask why 12k.
          7K is the way....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Thankyou everyone, this is really helpful.

The 12k was suggested by my accountant (SJD) so I may review this. I've just paid 1k pension personally (done yesterday to open my account) so I will do as suggested and make future pension plans via the company.

Thankyou all again!

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
              Thankyou everyone, this is really helpful.

The 12k was suggested by my accountant (SJD) so I may review this. I've just paid 1k pension personally (done yesterday to open my account) so I will do as suggested and make future pension plans via the company.

Thankyou all again!
              Hi Hmmm,

Can you PM me the name of your accountant please and I'll ensure they meet with you to discuss this.

Yes we do provide face to face meetings but our accountants plan they're day so they have time for any call backs if requested also.

Thank you
              http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                As I understand it, when you pay your own money into a personal pension, the pension provider claims 20% tax relief on that amount and your contribution effectively increases - i.e. pay in £2,400 and your pension balance will actually increase by £3,000.

Your LTD Company can contribute to your pension from Pre-Tax profits, so if you pay direct from the company, you save 20% corp tax.

Comment

In terms of what the pension gets and overall taxation it makes no difference if:-

1) You pay a company contribution of 3k
                  2) You pay a personal contribution of 2,400 (yes the 3k only yields 1800 but you get the extra 600 in tax relief through your s/a return)

The issue is NI. If you have s/e income check that you do not require to pay any class 2 or class 4 NI; though the point is probably moot since you will suffer these if they are appropriate irrespective of whether you happen to finance a pension with the money or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsjdaccountancy View Post
                    Hi Hmmm,

Can you PM me the name of your accountant please and I'll ensure they meet with you to discuss this.

Yes we do provide face to face meetings but our accountants plan they're day so they have time for any call backs if requested also.

Thank you
                    THEIR
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X