• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Where abouts in North West? Gorilla accounting is in Bolton and BI is in Leeds if that helps.
    Cheers, I'm in Lancs. I'll send a couple of emails around, thanks. My only worry is that I'm a sole trader (happy to go limited if it's the right thing to do) and not sure if these accountants will sort out my self assessment for the current year. They all seem very focused on limited companies.

Comment

Having established that 1st online are based just over a mile from my house, and seeing a few recommendations, and considering their use of FreeAgent, I've gone with their 60 quid package

Comment

Definitely a to freeagent regardless of which accountant one chooses!

Comment

Any of these recommended accountants use xero or even sage?

I have tried the demo of freeagent. It is a great product but does make accounting way too easy (which is ideal for contracting). That level of demystification is too scary for me having been used to sage or other double entry bookeeping systems for about 20yrs. Too much is hidden under the hood.

In FreeAgent, I can't see options for taking periodic backups so you can re-enter info again. It seems the data is locked in once payments are processed. I have not looked at the payroll part but I am certain that it will be far easier with dealing with yearEnds compared to my sage Instant payroll

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

I have tried the demo of freeagent. It is a great product but does make accounting way too easy (which is ideal for contracting). That level of demystification is too scary for me having been used to sage or other double entry bookeeping systems for about 20yrs. Too much is hidden under the hood.

In FreeAgent, I can't see options for taking periodic backups so you can re-enter info again. It seems the data is locked in once payments are processed. I have not looked at the payroll part but I am certain that it will be far easier with dealing with yearEnds compared to my sage Instant payroll
            You can export all your FA data anytime you like. I also assume that being in the "cloud" the data is on multiple severs as well?
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

At RHJ we use Sage, Freeagent and Xero, Plus are Xero Certified.

If you have an accountant maybe speak to them about what system you want to use and they should be able to advise.

On personal note

I do recommend Freeagent for contractors and Xero is more suited to SME's although i do have contractors who use Xero and love it!

Sage well that is another story

Comment

Freeagent

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

Freeagent is definitely the way to go, very simple to use and together with the App, makes a good overall package. We do support and are certified with Xero and Sage but preference for contractor clients is most definitely Freeagent. Tend to provide access to our demo account so that guys can take a look for themselves but everyone so far has preferred FA. The others are decent packages but more geared to SME's or those scaling up.

Comment

Nod to LeeP Financial

I moved away from the very large 'production-line' firm that wins awards year on year to a smaller firm; I wasn't really happy with the very minimum engagement. The difference has been huge and confirmed, in my opinion, that the 'award winning' firm struggled to address aspects of my accounts effectively. Anyway, I'm now back on track.

LeeP Financial are in the Peterborough & Huntingdon area, but they have clients, like myself, who are elsewhere in the country.

I would recommend anyone to give the smaller firms a go.

Comment

not SJD, not NW.

I've had the same experience. For me, SJD & NW are basically the same production line firms, generic email responses, slow response times, poor attention to detail from probably-overworked junior accountants.
                    Lisa: "Gary, you can't blame yourself for what gorillas did."

Comment

Originally posted by babybel View Post
                      I've had the same experience. For me, SJD & NW are basically the same production line firms, generic email responses, slow response times, poor attention to detail from probably-overworked junior accountants.
                      Yet now, more than ever before, there are smarter, cheaper, portable and far better services available. So, why stay with Mr Dolan's spready solution or a dead duck dead end bespoke portal solution? The spready had it's day in the sun and made it's creator a very rich man. But the world has moved on and left them all behind. Call it Darwinism, I think.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X