• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suebfg View Post
    HI, I am just about to move from umbrella to limited company and am looking for a managed accountancy provider. I've been looking at Giant, Nixon Williams and SJD - are there any recommendations please? I have been with Giant as umbrella but not sure about how good their limited company service is. Thanks
    I don't know anyone with Giant. NW and SJD both used to be frequent visitors here and had good reputations. Both were taken over by the same people and both now don't come here. Reputation seems to be heading downwards from feedback posted here. In particular it seems SJD are taking stick for hiking prices and declining customer service. Look elsewhere IMO.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by suebfg View Post
      HI, I am just about to move from umbrella to limited company and am looking for a managed accountancy provider. I've been looking at Giant, Nixon Williams and SJD - are there any recommendations please? I have been with Giant as umbrella but not sure about how good their limited company service is. Thanks
      We have a number of people with NW. Psychocandy is for one and there are a lot if SJD'ers but there is a bit of a migration going on as they are at the more expensive end and they seem to be having some issues at present.

I was with SJD up to a year and a bit ago and had to leave. IMO you want an accountant using Freeagent. Nice little system and everyone I know what has started using it likes it. I use, and would recommend Gorilla Accounting. Ex SJD staff so have the knowledge and have freeagent thrown in. A number of posters here use them.

If you want to research any of these try searching the forums to see what the feedback is.

Use SJD site:forums.contractoruk.com in Google and it will return all threads with SJD mentioned etc.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Can anyone recommend an accountant in Norwich, even better if they are familiar with freeagent.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedefieslife View Post
          Can anyone recommend an accountant in Norwich, even better if they are familiar with freeagent.
          Why do they have to be in Norwich?

Accountants are very good at using email and the telephone to communicate.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Why do they have to be in Norwich?

Accountants are very good at using email and the telephone to communicate.
            True, but at some point I'd like to sit down with them and go through a few things. I guess it's not a necessity, but if you never meet your accountant it's going to be difficult to use them as a reference in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedefieslife View Post
              True, but at some point I'd like to sit down with them and go through a few things. I guess it's not a necessity, but if you never meet your accountant it's going to be difficult to use them as a reference in the future.
              I have many clients i have not met and they use me for mortgage, visa, rental reference etc.

You do not need to meet your accountant for them to issue you a reference.

Most accountants will have their ID and money laundering checks when they take you on as a client.

As has been mentioned with, email, phone, Skype, and other forms of communication it is so easy to stay in touch with your accountant and most will reply in 24 hours.

Comment

Can anyone specifically recommend Contratax (or otherwise)?

Seen Martin is a regular contributor on here and his responses seem well judges and credible...

I've spoken to him and he's on my shortlist of two or three (other are a local one man band who was recommended and again seems to know his game and maybe Clearsky, latter again from -multiple- recommendations).

Incidentally Whitefield Tax were most definitely on this list until I received 'short shrift' (aka snotty, arrogant) response to my request to complete what I thought was a relatively simple questionnaire I put together to make comparisons - goodbye Whitefield Tax

Comment

Originally posted by naywansteepanuf View Post
                  Seen Martin is a regular contributor on here and his responses seem well judges and credible...

I've spoken to him and he's on my shortlist of two or three (other are a local one man band who was recommended and again seems to know his game and maybe Clearsky, latter again from -multiple- recommendations).

Incidentally Whitefield Tax were most definitely on this list until I received 'short shrift' (aka snotty, arrogant) response to my request to complete what I thought was a relatively simple questionnaire I put together to make comparisons - goodbye Whitefield Tax
                  Sorry to hear that. I'll happily look into the reply you received if you wish to get in touch with me directly, but in fairness we can't be everything to everyone, and I can understand why my staff would be reluctant to spend time on a questionnaire duplicating information already on our website.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I'll happily look into the reply you received if you wish to get in touch with me directly, but in fairness we can't be everything to everyone, and I can understand why my staff would be reluctant to spend time on a questionnaire duplicating information already on our website.
                    Jessica, thanks for your offer but you will be wasting your time, as you clearly don't have to justify yourselves as apparently 95% of your new clients come as a result of recommendations.

Having received the curt response mentioned, I did indeed remove you from my list and also I did find (every other firm that I have approached) were prepared to go to such lengths in order to get a new client.

Comment

Originally posted by naywansteepanuf View Post
                      Jessica, thanks for your offer but you will be wasting your time, as you clearly don't have to justify yourselves as apparently 95% of your new clients come as a result of recommendations.

Having received the curt response mentioned, I did indeed remove you from my list and also I did find (every other firm that I have approached) were prepared to go to such lengths in order to get a new client.
                      OK, well, good luck on your search. I did some research our end, and for what its worth I don't think the response was curt, nor was a 4 page questionnaire "simple" Lets agree to differ on both?

But, genuinely, I wish you well in finding the right accountant for you, and in your business venture.

Comment

Working...
                      X